Need help opening up the forks

8 replies to this topic
  • vomitbomb

Posted January 14, 2011 - 12:55 AM

Hi Guys,

2010 yz450

I'm in the process of doing my own fork seals and I'm having trouble opening the damper assembly. I've got a big wrench to undo the top of the fork and it wont budge. Is that even meant to undo?

It looks like it has 2 separate nuts on the top, one on the outside and the sunken one on the inside. Am I undoing the wrong one? Why is there 2? I figured the sunken one on the inside is for the cartridge and the one on the outside is to separate the cartridge from the outer fork leg.

I'd like to get the proper wrench to do this but I can't find anyone local who sells them.

• mikewrf18

Posted January 14, 2011 - 01:07 AM

I'm a little confused on what you are talking about. Are you refering to the cap? If so, I leave the forks on the bike when loosening the cap, instead of using a vice. After the cap is loosened, you have to lift the cap up, compress the spring a bit and get a wrench on that bottom nut on the cap. Hold this nut with one wrench, and loosen the top nut on the cap. Then you can remove the cap and so on. If you are speaking of the damper rod, you will need to buy/make a special damper rod holding tool. This article below covers how to make one. You don't really need to remove the damper rod to replace the seals, unless you want to do a complete tear down and inspection, which is of course always recommended, but not entirely necessary unless the Fork Oil is very contaminated/using different weight, or you are replacing other damaged parts.

This article will help you out.
http://www.thumperfa.../fork_seals.htm

• vomitbomb

Posted January 14, 2011 - 02:04 AM

It's all good I got it undone. The top cap looks a little ugly now since I was using a shifter B) I just loosened the top clamp and left the bottom tight and it undid much easier.

I've got it all apart now but I'm just wondering. Can I remove the inner cartridge without removing the oil from it? I only want to have to fill up the outer chamber since that's all I need to do to replace the oil seals. I have taken off the adjuster valve (at the bottom) and the rod has slid out. I can't really see where the oil would get out of the inner chamber but there is oil coming out of everywhere so it's hard to tell :smirk:

• mikewrf18

Posted January 14, 2011 - 03:17 AM

It's all good I got it undone. The top cap looks a little ugly now since I was using a shifter B) I just loosened the top clamp and left the bottom tight and it undid much easier.

I've got it all apart now but I'm just wondering. Can I remove the inner cartridge without removing the oil from it? I only want to have to fill up the outer chamber since that's all I need to do to replace the oil seals. I have taken off the adjuster valve (at the bottom) and the rod has slid out. I can't really see where the oil would get out of the inner chamber but there is oil coming out of everywhere so it's hard to tell :smirk:

Here's a diagram for your forks. Can you explain it by part number? Can't help you much more on this. After looking at the diagram, the forks look quite different then the older model YZF's, and definately different then my 07 WR. I'm sure someone else that knows more about the newer forks will chime in though. Good Luck, if I run accross any threads that may help I'll post em' up.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vomitbomb

Posted January 14, 2011 - 03:33 AM

Part 22 is the adjuster valve and the rod falls out of 11,35 (the whole inner chamber) once you take this off.

I actually found this video which has been really helpful:

What are the holes at 1:58 in the video? Would removing the oil from these mean I have to fill the inner chamber?

I was told they were cartridge forks when they're actually dual chamber. Everything's so much clearer now.

• mikewrf18

Posted January 14, 2011 - 03:42 AM

Part 22 is the adjuster valve and the rod falls out of 11,35 (the whole inner chamber) once you take this off.

I actually found this video which has been really helpful:

What are the holes at 1:58 in the video? Would removing the oil from these mean I have to fill the inner chamber?

I was told they were cartridge forks when they're actually dual chamber. Everything's so much clearer now.

That's what threw me off, I've done multiple fork seal replacements on yzf and wrf cartridge forks, but had no idea the newer YZF's came with dual chamber. And my work won't let me pull up youtube, so hope somebody else can answer it for you.

• vomitbomb

Posted January 14, 2011 - 03:55 AM

It's all good mate I've found the information in the comments section.

"If you just want to cahnge the seal, no. You don't need to take apart the inner chamber. Howerever; why not? It most likely could use some freshening up anyway."

"when you say "bleeder holes", I assume you mean the holes at the top of the inner chamber on the side of the cartridge. If so, that oil is actually outer chamber oil, it shouldn't be leaking from the inner chamber. however, it sounds like you have air in your inner chamber if it isn't rebounding all the way. I would put new oil in the inner chamber as well."

Thanks for the help.

• mikewrf18

Posted January 14, 2011 - 04:02 AM

Glad to hear you got it figured out. You should take some pics and post em' up. I searched several google pages on replacing fork seals on a 2010 YZF and couldn't find anything. Might help someone else on here.

• vomitbomb

Posted January 14, 2011 - 04:11 AM

Glad to hear you got it figured out. You should take some pics and post em' up. I searched several google pages on replacing fork seals on a 2010 YZF and couldn't find anything. Might help someone else on here.

The forks in the video above are the same as the forks on the yz450 as far as I can tell (He said it was off a KX450 in the comments if I remember correctly). I'm just skipping the steps that say to open the inner chamber and drain/fill the oil.

If you want a pic of something specific I'm happy to take a snap with it all apart at the moment.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.