buried it up to the top of the wheels in sand

4 replies to this topic
  • paul19513

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:16 AM

recently I went to the dunes and hit a patch of loose wet sand and buried it to the top of the wheels I searched and couldn't find anything regarding anything like this. my bike was buried for close to an hour as I was by myself the question I have is the sand went past the outer cup and the seal and was sitting on the sealed wheel bearing,

do I need to replace the wheel bearings ?
AND I am going to take the suspention all apart and re- grease , is there anything else that anyone can think of that needs done

• Birdy426

Posted January 13, 2011 - 12:30 PM

You may want to pull the valve cove rto see if you sucked any sand up the crank case breather as well...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • paul19513

Posted January 13, 2011 - 09:04 PM

cool good idea I need to check the valves again anyway and do you guys know if I should replace the wheel bearings they don't seem like they have any grit in them

• atitagain

Posted January 14, 2011 - 06:29 AM

How do you sink the front wheel in wet sand? I ride Glamis often....and the sand only gets that soft when it is VERY dry. I'm not saying it didn't happen....just curious.

• paul19513

Posted January 14, 2011 - 07:50 AM

it rains allot up here in the winter,I have never seen it before but the guys I usually ride with have . the sand just looked wet when I hit it I absolutely stopped, and both tires were completely buried. it was Quicksand, here is a link as how it forms http://www.unmuseum.org/quicksand.htm

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.