Big Gun for the YZ426

6 replies to this topic
  • waflnutz

Posted March 24, 2001 - 04:09 PM

Hey all. You guys are the experts...so tell me.

I just bought a new YZF. Cannot wait to ride it. I have read a few posts about the Big Gun, quiet core, exhaust and would like some more opinions please. I ride 50/50 (MX/Offroad). I hear it is quiet, but expensive as you must buy the complete exhaust. I live at altitude in Colorado. Was jetting an issue for anyone running this pipe? Will stock jetting sufice? If not what are you running for jetting specs? results?

Also, where do I buy it? (best price) Anyone I should speak to?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

bd

• yzernie

Posted March 24, 2001 - 08:04 PM

Waflnutz,

I have a Big Gun that I bought when I first got my 98 YZ400F. Big Gun makes an excellent product. The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that you must buy the whole system. Almost all of the other aftermarket exhaust companies produce mufflers that would be compatable with the stock headpipe.

I also have a Stroker system. I like it better than the Big Gun because it allows the engine to rev a bit further. I have had the Stroker system for almost two years and found that it is very hard to dent the headpipe. The Big Gun has more of a bottom to mid power delivery.

Dubach has just released YZ-F pipes too. I'm sure that with the amount of time Dubach has put into the R & D of the F's for Yamaha, he has developed a good system too.

The stock system is also a very good system. This bike produces so much power in stock condition, a pipe may not be the best way to spend some hard earned cash. Maybe some suspension mods to suit your riding style would be a better investment. I have found the stock suspension on my 01 426 to be pretty darned good too!!!

I race/practice at a track almost excusively with an occasional joy ride with the wife on her YZ125.

If 10 people were to answer your question, you would get 10 different answers on what pipe/muffler is the best. You need to find out what type of power deliver is most important to you and go from there.

One very important thing is getting the bike suited to you and your likes and/or dislikes. The MOST important thing is to have fun, ride smart and stay within your own abilities.

Enjoy, yzernie

• waflnutz

Posted March 24, 2001 - 09:27 PM

Actually, quiet is what I am after more than anything...along with a spark arrestor. ;-)

Thanks for your response.

Wafl

Originally posted by yzernie:
Waflnutz,

I have a Big Gun that I bought when I first got my 98 YZ400F. Big Gun makes an excellent product. The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that you must buy the whole system. Almost all of the other aftermarket exhaust companies produce mufflers that would be compatable with the stock headpipe.

I also have a Stroker system. I like it better than the Big Gun because it allows the engine to rev a bit further. I have had the Stroker system for almost two years and found that it is very hard to dent the headpipe. The Big Gun has more of a bottom to mid power delivery.

Dubach has just released YZ-F pipes too. I'm sure that with the amount of time Dubach has put into the R & D of the F's for Yamaha, he has developed a good system too.

The stock system is also a very good system. This bike produces so much power in stock condition, a pipe may not be the best way to spend some hard earned cash. Maybe some suspension mods to suit your riding style would be a better investment. I have found the stock suspension on my 01 426 to be pretty darned good too!!!

I race/practice at a track almost excusively with an occasional joy ride with the wife on her YZ125.

If 10 people were to answer your question, you would get 10 different answers on what pipe/muffler is the best. You need to find out what type of power deliver is most important to you and go from there.

One very important thing is getting the bike suited to you and your likes and/or dislikes. The MOST important thing is to have fun, ride smart and stay within your own abilities.

Enjoy, yzernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted March 25, 2001 - 09:07 PM

I'm sure I'd like a system that is a bit more quiet too!! I know Stroker sells an insert for the muffler outlet that quiets things down. I am not sure if they have an insert for the 426.

You can give them a call at (760) 947-6782. They are open M-F 8am-5pm California time.

I'm would think that the majority of the aftermarket exhaust companies either make or can refer you to someone who makes the inserts.

yzernie

• JBM

Posted March 26, 2001 - 06:10 AM

On the Biggun website they are selling a silencer only that it says is new. http://www.biggunexhaust.com

• smitty33

Posted March 26, 2001 - 05:17 PM

Hey waflnutz,

I was talkin to Mike at big gun and asked him about your request, here's what he had to say.

"The new YZ systems are awesome. They add more than just more power to the bike they lower exhaust temperature, lower the oil temperature and make horsepower! Also yes Big Gun offers a Quiet pipe for the friendly user at around 94 decibals on most models with a slight power loss on top but adds some bottom end power. The new systems are in stock. The complete pipe that we would sell you for the YZ426 is the oversized system that will add tons of bottom and mid and same top end as stock. The systems are in stock so call today for more info at 1-800-870-4461

Thanks,

Mike"

Hope that helps!

------------------
Hold it Wide...
http://www.fastbydesign.com

• LAWMAN

Posted March 27, 2001 - 04:25 AM

i put a big gun on a yz250f. it is way quieter than stock & also makes more & better power. it's an excellent product. if interested, there are reviews of it on the yz/wr250f page, in a thread on exhausts with about 88 posts.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.