Oregon dual-sport requirements

6 replies to this topic
  • scouringpad

Posted July 21, 2003 - 05:15 PM

Hi all - haven't been on here for a while - so long that apparently my user name and password are no good any more..

Am wondering if any Oregon riders can fill me in on requirements for licensing my 2001 WR426? As far as I know, blinkers are only required when riding after dark - hand signals being acceptable during daylight hours. Anyone recently working on registering/dual-sporting one of these in this state?

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 22, 2003 - 03:17 AM

I hate to tell you this but Oregon law states that any bike produced after 1982 will have Electric turn signals. You must also have a horn & a stop light. You can get buy with a bulb horn. Hope this helps out some.
Jim

• Tawm_Dawg

Posted July 22, 2003 - 06:05 AM

Jim is correct, in Orygun you need to have real winkies, plus horn, lights, mirror, rear reflector, license light, DOT tires, blah, blah. Many people don't go that far (me), but it is a requirement.

By the way, was nice to meet you at the Prospect 100, Jim.
-Tom

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 22, 2003 - 05:48 PM

I hate to tell you this but Oregon law states that any bike produced after 1982 will have Electric turn signals. You must also have a horn & a stop light. You can get buy with a bulb horn. Hope this helps out some.
Jim

Well, in my state (just above you guys) signals are required on all road legal motorcycles from about 1975 or so and onward, basically, it said "it will come with signals", the loophole is the dirt bike didnt have them from the factory, as it was not road legal, but now that it is, your exempt, but I do know they are required for night riding. It may be different in Oregon.

• scouringpad

Posted July 22, 2003 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look at the legal jargon to see if the fact that it was not manufactured for the street will get me around the lights. I like the idea of a kit for ease of installation, but I just can't see spending near $500.00 for a pressure switch, wiring, and a couple of lights. Guess I'll probably piece-meal it, and maybe scrounge a mirror/blinkers where I can find them. Anyone heard/know about any cheap sources? -Chris

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 23, 2003 - 03:35 AM

Go to www.fourstrokesonly.com He as all of the pieces that you will need if you want to piece meal it. Otherwise go to www.trickdualsport.com for an entire kit for under $400.00 or you can probably buy some parts & pieces from Dale @TDS. :)
Jim

• ddialogue

Posted July 23, 2003 - 03:56 AM

www.dual-star.com also has a lot of the misc. items needed to create your custom dual-sport. Good luck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.