Yamaha Salesman

24 replies to this topic
  • REDRIDER341

Posted January 10, 2011 - 03:53 PM

So before the 2011's came out I was searching for a new 450 and was debating on picking up a 2010 yz450f. However I decided to hold out and will buy a 2011 in a month or 2 wait for winter to slow down. The thing was the dealer was trying to sell me an 09 saying the mx guys dont like the fuel injection and the computer and like carbs better. He also tried selling me a ktm trail bike even after i told him i race mx. maybe i shall look for another dealer?

• Steel Panther

Posted January 10, 2011 - 04:01 PM

most salesman ive delt with know little or nothing about any of the bikes, your lucky yours knew the 2010 was fuel injected. But, I dont listen to any of them regardless

• brentn

Posted January 10, 2011 - 05:08 PM

He's a salesman, he's selling you what he wants to unload.

Sometimes you can have a good salesman who will ask you the following;

-What are you looking for?
-What catches your eye?
-What kind of riding do you do?
-What are you looking to avoid in a bike, any past experiences you remember or heresay from other people?

They ask these open ended questions to establish what you want and need and try and balance the two. This establishes rapport, and if he/she does a good job you'll be staring at a bike that fits your wants and/or needs perfectly and you'll want to buy it. He'll no longer be a salesman he'll just be the guy ringing up your card or checking your cash in which you can't give it to him fast enough :smirk:

Sounds like he didn't do any of that, chances are he's unloading old stock that he's sitting on, losing money every day that it stays in his warehouse.

If I were you, I would do what your doing and thinking, read up on these forums, ask some questions and find a different dealer.
Sometimes the shitty dealer might be the only one who has what you want in stock, unfortunately the bad guys still get the money cause they're a bigger outfit with better prices... But that's the name of the game!

• brentn

Posted January 10, 2011 - 05:11 PM

btw if you search for 2010 yz450 here in this forum you will find ALOT of info about the bike.

• REDRIDER341

Posted January 10, 2011 - 06:36 PM

i been searching alot and its very helpful and i am not JS7 and will never reach full potential on any bike, i just want to get back out there on a new whip and race and maybe be an A class rider.

• brentn

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:00 PM

The 2010 is a really good bike, and so was the 09, many many people will vouch for both. I don't race, I ride trails, I chose the 2010 because fuel injection doesn't flood an engine when the bike tips over. There were other reasons as well, one being that the exhaust is completely protected under the seat from large rocks and other crap on the trails.

The 09 is lighter without the fuel injection hardware, and usually costs less.

Those are just a few facts to help you make your decision. IMO the 09 may be the deciding factor if I were you and just wanted to race as the price will be substantially lower.

What did you own before?

• REDRIDER341

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:58 PM

i owned a ttr-225 01-cr125 98,01-cr250 06 crf450
just not a fan of the new hondas and the reason to sell the 06 was i had alot of hours on it and didnt want to put x amount of money into it.

• motojase316

Posted January 11, 2011 - 01:26 AM

So before the 2011's came out I was searching for a new 450 and was debating on picking up a 2010 yz450f. However I decided to hold out and will buy a 2011 in a month or 2 wait for winter to slow down. The thing was the dealer was trying to sell me an 09 saying the mx guys dont like the fuel injection and the computer and like carbs better. He also tried selling me a ktm trail bike even after i told him i race mx. maybe i shall look for another dealer?

Ditch that idiot salesman. hold out and get what you want... The 2011 Yamaha, I am certainly not yearning to go back to a carby or an older 09 bike.

• 95s10nj

Posted January 11, 2011 - 06:34 AM

i owned a ttr-225 01-cr125 98,01-cr250 06 crf450
just not a fan of the new hondas and the reason to sell the 06 was i had alot of hours on it and didnt want to put x amount of money into it.

I'm from southern New Jersey and a lot of the local yamaha dealers dont know much about mx and want to charge msrp, tax, freight and setup charges. I've bought my last couple bikes from MCC in PA. The dirtbike salesman races mx and he will give you a lot better deal than than most NJ dealerships. You will still pay tax in PA though because PA and NJ have some sort of arrangement.

• aedwards07

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:20 AM

I'm from southern New Jersey and a lot of the local yamaha dealers dont know much about mx and want to charge msrp, tax, freight and setup charges. I've bought my last couple bikes from MCC in PA. The dirtbike salesman races mx and he will give you a lot better deal than than most NJ dealerships. You will still pay tax in PA though because PA and NJ have some sort of arrangement.

The Dirtbike salesman was Mike Cepress.Hes a awesome guy.He currently doesnt work at MCC at the moment though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • REDRIDER341

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:39 AM

ok cool, im gonna look out of state i think. and price shop, since i was a salesman I like wheel and deal

• 95s10nj

Posted January 12, 2011 - 06:33 AM

The Dirtbike salesman was Mike Cepress.Hes a awesome guy.He currently doesnt work at MCC at the moment though.

Really, where did he go? He's been there a long time and always bragged about how many bikes he sold lol.

• 922MXer

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:21 PM

check out tricountyhonda, those guys race mx and really unload the bikes (no sales tax)

• Monk

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:24 PM

He's a salesman, he's selling you what he wants to unload.

Sometimes you can have a good salesman who will ask you the following;

-What are you looking for?
-What catches your eye?
-What kind of riding do you do?
-What are you looking to avoid in a bike, any past experiences you remember or heresay from other people?

They ask these open ended questions to establish what you want and need and try and balance the two. This establishes rapport, and if he/she does a good job you'll be staring at a bike that fits your wants and/or needs perfectly and you'll want to buy it. He'll no longer be a salesman he'll just be the guy ringing up your card or checking your cash in which you can't give it to him fast enough :thumbsup:

Sounds like he didn't do any of that, chances are he's unloading old stock that he's sitting on, losing money every day that it stays in his warehouse.

If I were you, I would do what your doing and thinking, read up on these forums, ask some questions and find a different dealer.
Sometimes the shitty dealer might be the only one who has what you want in stock, unfortunately the bad guys still get the money cause they're a bigger outfit with better prices... But that's the name of the game!

Amen, the guy who sold me bike knew a big ZERO about dirtbikes. Brentn, who was your salesman at blackfoot? Trevor, Rick?

• YamaLink

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Some salesman put a lot of energy into clearing the floor of prior year models so they can get more flooring (bikes) which means higher prices which in the end gets them more commission. Can't blame them, that's what they do and are trying to make a living. Wait, you can blame them if they push a useless bike on you.

Decide what your budget is, intended use, how long you plan to keep the bike, etc. Then make the move and have no remorse.

• DPW

Posted March 08, 2011 - 03:25 AM

The only thing you should ask the sales guy is how much OTD? I don't' really care if they know that a Yamaha is blue or not. I walk into the dealer knowing what bike I want already and only price is up for discussion.

• SEOINAGE

Posted March 08, 2011 - 07:01 AM

I just did all my work on the phone. Got the best deal I could and then nabbed it. You don't need a dealer to help you pick out your bike, just need him to get you a reasonable price.

• 922MXer

Posted March 08, 2011 - 03:21 PM

The dealer can be very helpful, but only if they have time on the bike or have a race team. Any buyer can get online and read the specs, but someone with some seat time can tell you more about the bike than you may know.

So a dealer not wanting to unload inventory can be helpful (sometimes)

• brentn

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Amen, the guy who sold me bike knew a big ZERO about dirtbikes. Brentn, who was your salesman at blackfoot? Trevor, Rick?

Shawn H, young kid about my age maybe less. He rides a two stroke 2010 yz250, the bike I was going to buy a few months before I got my money. He was honest and sold me what I wanted, he knew and I knew that I had done my homework and the yzf was going to work out for me.
He was the only guy who approached me and asked me if I needed help with anything. Maybe it was the 2" thick wad of bills in my front pocket, or maybe he was just a good salesman and asks you if you need help. Even if your wearing painted coveralls, dirt on your face, and your hands are black :thumbsup:

• Monk

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Shawn H, young kid about my age maybe less. He rides a two stroke 2010 yz250, the bike I was going to buy a few months before I got my money. He was honest and sold me what I wanted, he knew and I knew that I had done my homework and the yzf was going to work out for me.
He was the only guy who approached me and asked me if I needed help with anything. Maybe it was the 2" thick wad of bills in my front pocket, or maybe he was just a good salesman and asks you if you need help. Even if your wearing painted coveralls, dirt on your face, and your hands are black :thumbsup:

Rick G was my sales man, I should have listen to Trevor though. I wanted an xc and they pushed a 08 KTM 450sx on me, I thought the price was good but that 4 speed just made the bike a total POS. I ride off road so for the track it was probably really good but not for the trail though. My guy didnt have any real experience with dirtbikes but he was honest and told me right up front. I also had the same stack of cash, 5000k in each pocket and I was shaking like hell cause I was nervous and have never bought a new bike untill that point. In my reference to Trevor, he told me to buy a 2 stroke, they had a new 08 RM250 that I almost wish I shoulda bought, but hey, what do you do. I still with them for parts though, I like to spread my money around and have never been paticular to one shop. How you liking that 450, working well in the bush for you? Im on the fence about getting one as a practice bike. I will have to get out to Calgary and go on a ride with you, maybe I can get Nick out too. He did good on my loop, its been a while so he shouldnt have any problem.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.