Just bought 99YZ400

5 replies to this topic

Posted March 23, 2001 - 08:21 PM

I just bought a 99yz400. I was wondering if anyone could give me maitnance tips on this

• yzernie

Posted March 24, 2001 - 11:44 AM

Keep fresh and clean motor oil in it. Keep the air filter clean and oiled...these bikes suck serious volumes of air.

Heard of some clutch problems but I have never had any with either my 400 or the 426.

Ride and have fun!!!

• PK

Posted March 24, 2001 - 01:18 PM

When you do put in a fresh oil filter, don't try to start it for a few hours. Because these bikes suck so much air, they will suck the fresh oil right out of the filter into your carb. I bought my 99 YZ400 used and here is what I did.

Lube the rear suspension and steering head.

Changed the oil and cleaned the filter. The filter can be re-used so long as it is in good shape. Also remember to clean the one at the bottom of the frame tube. I clean my filters about every 4th ride.

Pulled off the carb and cleaned everything up on it. Inspect your throttle cables as some have been known to fray. Bad joo-joo.

Checked the valves for proper clearance, installed a new spark plug and put dielectric grease on the all the electrical connections as well as the spark plug boot (which will help you get that rascal off)

Ensured the chain was properly adjusted. What your looking for is about 2 inches of play.

Check the spokes as they will loosen up a little quicker than a lighter 2 stroke cause of the weight of the bike. While your back there check your sprocket bolts as they are known to loosen on some bikes.

If you have the manual, it is very well written and will give you alot of useful info. I'm done rambling as this all I can think of right now. Oh yeah, have fun, it's an awesome bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted March 25, 2001 - 03:30 AM

Were can i find the oil filter and were do i get a manual?

• enmerdeur

Posted March 25, 2001 - 05:13 AM

Baja Designs list manuals for sale for $45.00 http://www.bajadesigns.com/ You could also try Ronnies http://www.ronnies.com/

• PK

Posted March 26, 2001 - 10:42 PM

The stock oil filter is pretty robust and you can get em at your local Yamaha dealer as well as getting the owners manual.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.