way to much oil in 450

4 replies to this topic
  • proudy29

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:04 AM

hi guys just wondering wat sort of damage would it cause if there was double the ammount of oil in my 06 450.went for a ride for about 15 minutes and it was pouring out smoke from the exhaust and pissing out oil from the over flow hose underneath.checked the oil when i got it home and it had around 2 litres of oil in it once it was correctly re filled the bike started but had a noise in the engine,my mate whos a mechanic said that it sounds like the small or big end bearing.wat do you guys think.and before you all say that im an idiot for having that much oil in the bike in the first place well i left the bike at my sisters place which was 14 hours away from were i lived it was sort of my holiday bike for when i was up there,i have a lot of nephews up were my bike was and i recon that one of them took it for a ride and he checked the oil and couldnt see any so he put another litre in and that was it.i had a mate up that way so he picked the 450 up for me and when i took it for a ride thats wat happened to me.im investigating it before i start accussing people

• dgcars

Posted January 10, 2011 - 02:53 AM

Way too much oil, like you had here, can destroy an engine. The oil gets frothed up and too much heat is generated and not dissapated.....Take it too a bike shop/mechanic and let them have a listen. I wish you the best of luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2011 - 06:58 AM

The only damage you are likely to have incurred is a mess, and the worst of it is usually the oil in the exhaust packing, which will take seemingly forever to burn out.

All YZ450's have engine noises, and the '06 and later with the aluminum frames are the worst. Remove any non factory skid plates and compare the noises yours makes to a couple of others before you panic.

And don't let your friends use your bike anymore.

• proudy29

Posted January 13, 2011 - 05:58 PM

well i pulled the top end apart and i noticed the bottom rod has split all the way down one side and its hit the side wall and taken a piece out of that as well.i will try and post some photos up later on

• dgcars

Posted January 14, 2011 - 12:43 AM

well i pulled the top end apart and i noticed the bottom rod has split all the way down one side and its hit the side wall and taken a piece out of that as well.i will try and post some photos up later on

I was hoping that I had it wrong. Good luck with the rebuild and post some pics. :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.