my 450 and a ? about rekluse clutch cover

11 replies to this topic
  • brianp25

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:51 PM

hey guys been lurking round alot havnt posted much but here's my 08 yz 450
just put new piston, cam chain, an exhaust cam from an 06, and sent my carb to Zipty racing.....havnt gotten a chance to ride snow/rain..but heres the question just ordered a rekluse exp clutch and i want to keep my gytr clutch cover when i install the rekluse exp clutch anyone know if i can. i read something about a thicker gasket or should i just use the rekluse cover..thnks

Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:56 PM

The GYT-R cover might be deep enough to clear the EXP. If not, Rekluse still makes a thick clutch cover gasket for that bike. E-mail them about it if you need one. If you still have the OEM cover to compare it too, you need about 1/8" more clearance.

• idahojoe

Posted January 10, 2011 - 10:27 AM

You will need to add about .250 of gasket to clear the GYTR cover if it's the same as the stock cover.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:11 PM

According to Rekluse, it's .125".

• PAdaytonaman

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Rekluse stopped selling the new kits with the thicker gasket. I had it and ran the stock cover. The reason they stopped was due to guys improperly torquing the bolts and cracking the cover. I broke my cover when I got taken out at a race. I was hit hard and it bent the bolt in the case as well. Now I run the Rekluse cover.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:50 AM

Rekluse stopped selling the new kits with the thicker gasket. I had it and ran the stock cover. The reason they stopped was due to guys improperly torquing the bolts and cracking the cover. I broke my cover when I got taken out at a race. I was hit hard and it bent the bolt in the case as well. Now I run the Rekluse cover.

That's true, but as of last November, they still had the thicker gasket available, according to e-mails that I received directly from them. OTOH, the gasket costs about $25. Either way, the EXP comes with the new cover, so it's really just a question of whether the GYT-R cover has the extra depth to clear that clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:57 AM

I thought the thicker gasket was only for the z-start pro? And the cover was necessary for the the core exp?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2011 - 09:09 AM

The thicker gasket is NOT required for the Z-Start Pro, nor is the deeper cover. I know this for certain because that's what I was told by Rekluse, and because I am not using either the cover or the gasket on mine.

The gasket or a cover was (I believe) required for the earlier Z-Start (not the Pro), and the cover is currently sold as an included part of the EXP kit. I found out about the gasket from Rekluse while I was researching whether I could use a used EXP from a 2010 in my bike.

• tech24

Posted January 11, 2011 - 01:22 PM

The thicker gasket is NOT required for the Z-Start Pro, nor is the deeper cover. I know this for certain because that's what I was told by Rekluse, and because I am not using either the cover or the gasket on mine.

The gasket or a cover was (I believe) required for the earlier Z-Start (not the Pro), and the cover is currently sold as an included part of the EXP kit. I found out about the gasket from Rekluse while I was researching whether I could use a used EXP from a 2010 in my bike.

Hmm didn't know that, I put the gasket in mine because it said to but I didn't know any different unless its required for the 2010. But I don't think there is much difference in the clutch area than older models.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2011 - 02:17 PM

The '10 model could possibly have less room. The '06 was built with 9 plates, and tcases/covers were never changed after the '07 went to 8 plates. The '10 started out with the 8 plate clutch, so it could be a closer fit, maybe.

• brianp25

Posted January 11, 2011 - 06:35 PM

I emailed rekluse and here's what the reply was:
You may be able to use your GYTR cover with the thicker gasket but no guarantees, as we have not personally verified after market covers. The biggest issue would be the edges of the cover the Core Exp requires almost a square shape edge, not rounded.
Part number for that gasket is *420-272
AUSTIN PADEN
Rekluse Motor Sports
Tech Services
110E 43rd St.
Boise, ID 83714
austin@rekluse.com

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2011 - 07:18 PM

That's what I said.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.