Bad crank bearings?

3 replies to this topic
  • jsmith4816

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:44 PM

I have an '01 y426 and for starters, I love this bike. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last year I was riding and then all of a sudden it stalled. When I tried to kick it over, the kick start was seized. So I looked at the manual and looked at every possible precaution. Wasn't the kick start gear or a seized piston. When I asked a mechanic, he said if the crankshaft does not move then its the bearings. Would the bearings cause it to stall?
Also, how hard are bearings to replace? The entire bike is apart, but do not have a case splitting tool to finish the job.

• DeeCee

Posted January 10, 2011 - 03:20 AM

I assume the crank still does not turn even with the bike apart, is this correct ?

The crankshaft bearings area easy to replace however your problem may be the conrod bearing, is this moving freely and with no free play ?

If you are going to pull it right down it is probably worth your while to rebuild the crank regardless and get another 10+ years of service out of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jsmith4816

Posted February 11, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Sorry it has been so long. Yes it moves freely with no play. I would like to do the bearings myself, but have no way to split the cases. Call me cheap, but I also don't wanna pay to buy the part and use it once.

• locomike

Posted February 12, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Sorry it has been so long. Yes it moves freely with no play. I would like to do the bearings myself, but have no way to split the cases. Call me cheap, but I also don't wanna pay to buy the part and use it once.

Trust me, if you are into dirtbikes, you will use it more than once. :smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.