2008 YZ450 Piston Change

5 replies to this topic
  • yz_ripper

Posted January 09, 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hi guys, im going to do a piston change in the bike and the manual that the bike came with isnt that specific. I was wondering if there is a certain type of tool i will need once i get to taking the Cam chain bolt off? or any other specific tool. Does anyone know if there is a "how to" out there? I only found one for a YZ 250f, and it seems quite different.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2011 - 04:48 PM

What cam chain bolt?

• Dick Falcon

Posted January 09, 2011 - 05:16 PM

is that the same as a grip bolt?!lol J/K i know on a ktm you need a special tool to break the cam chain.that might be what he means,or does yamaha have a master link on the cam chain?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxmaddman

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:31 PM

use the OE manual. You dont know what your doing and guessing is going to result in a bad day and a large repair bill. Its a easy procedure. Just follow the manual.

You will need a flywheel puller when you take the flywheel off to replace the timing chain..
Other than that you will need a hand full of special tools to do it correctly and be able to measure clearances properly.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 19, 2011 - 12:21 AM

I might also replace my cam chain. What is the list of ALL the special tools i will need?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 19, 2011 - 07:57 AM

A flywheel puller is the only "special tool" I can think of needed to replace just the cam chain. You will need the Yamaha manual and the mechanical ability. Some time spent using the "SEARCH" function here before you tear into the engine will probably help out a lot..... This isn't an overly hard job to do, but it is possible to mess it up, and then things can get pricey to fix..... :smirk:

Edited by Diesel Goober, January 19, 2011 - 08:40 AM.
misspelled a word or two....

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.