YamaLink for 2010 YZF

35 replies to this topic
  • almostinvincible119

Posted January 09, 2011 - 09:41 AM

I haven't heard anything good on the Pro Circuit link for the 2010, but I would like to experiment with a lowering link to try to balance the bike out and help out turning a little.

Anyone try the YamaLink or anything like that? Or maybe you had good luck with the PC link.

I would love to hear your opinions

• YamaLink

Posted January 09, 2011 - 01:27 PM

I would get the PC if you needed minimal lowering. It is more of a "performance" link than a lowering link because many bikes are getting just 4 to 6 mm (6mm is .25 inches lowering) which is so so so helpful in getting more traction, a bit more leverage and plushness through the chop and square edge.

Our shortest YamaLink is 1 inch when reset to the sag setting you had before. Many are resetting sag at about 6mm less so they get .75 inches net lowering and that is great, but if you are on the verge of needing a heavier spring with the stock setup you will need one with the Race 1 inch YamaLink due to the slight leverage increase; also, your free sag needs to be considered. But a 1 inch lowering link is nothing like our usual 1.6 or 1.75 where leverage and race vs free sag become more of an issue for heavier and more aggressive riders.

Pro Circuit is a good product. How much do they cost these days? Do they offer a return policy if you use it and decide it's not for you? We do.

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 09, 2011 - 03:38 PM

They're charging 230 a pop i believe. You actually let me put the part on my bike, try it out, and if I don't like it, send it back?

• luckyguy19

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:32 AM

When I bought my bike my dealer knew I would be using it for desert racing and recommended getting a link for it. They found the link off a 2007 WR450 will lower the back 11mm. So it does the same thing as the PC link for around $100, and its a factory part. The bike feels much more stable at speed with it.

• foxracr767

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:59 AM

Hey luckyguy19, when you replaced the link with the 07 wr one did you have to purchase anything else for the 07 link to work on the 2010?

• brentn

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:22 PM

When I bought my bike my dealer knew I would be using it for desert racing and recommended getting a link for it. They found the link off a 2007 WR450 will lower the back 11mm. So it does the same thing as the PC link for around $100, and its a factory part. The bike feels much more stable at speed with it.

That's a great tip!!
Anyone else confirm this for different years?

• luckyguy19

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:42 PM

The factory link isn't sold as a complete unit, so you will need the link, bearings, seals, and pin.

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:46 PM

The factory link isn't sold as a complete unit, so you will need the link, bearings, seals, and pin.

Or just pull the used ones out of your Brand New 10?

Maybe the O.D. is bigger or smaller?

Now, how would this 11mm drop work on MX? Im not exactly a frame geometry guru.

• luckyguy19

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:47 PM

5XC-2217F-90-00 ROD, CONNECTING 1 $51.12

93315-32269-00 BEARING $9.08 2 $18.16

93109-22019-00 OIL SEAL $8.63 2 $17.26

90387-14009-00 COLLAR $7.87 1 $7.87

That is all the parts needed to make it work, depending on local prices should be around $100 total.

• luckyguy19

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Or just pull the used ones out of your Brand New 10?

Maybe the O.D. is bigger or smaller?

Now, how would this 11mm drop work on MX? Im not exactly a frame geometry guru.

I guess you could maybe use the bearings over again, but they were not easy to press in. So I figure they would be a pain to get out, buying new ones in not that expensive. I ended up using a bench vice and socket to press them in. The seals need to be replaced, there's no way to get those out without damaging them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxracr767

Posted January 11, 2011 - 09:22 AM

Awesome thanks for the info, I will be trying this out in the near future.

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 11, 2011 - 05:30 PM

Lemme know how it goes fox.

• luckyguy19

Posted January 11, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Lemme know how it goes fox.

My Smart Performance Suspension shipped today, I can't wait to get it in, I've never have custom valved suspension before.

• HRC

Posted January 11, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Questions that cross my mind:

I wonder what kind of dark-red linkage arm San Manuel Yamaha and JGR teams use ? Maybe hard to get factory stuff from Japan I guess.

Do GYTR have linkarm for sale ?

And this YamaLink ...does it have a website ?

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2011 - 07:56 AM

You haven't tried Google yet, have you?

Here's GYT-R: http://www.yamaha-mo...5375/all/1.aspx

• rickallen124

Posted January 12, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Questions that cross my mind:

I wonder what kind of dark-red linkage arm San Manuel Yamaha and JGR teams use ? Maybe hard to get factory stuff from Japan I guess.

JGR has a complete linkage or just the arm for sale. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same one they are using on their bikes but I would think so as they fabricate lots of their parts.

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 13, 2011 - 09:12 PM

My Smart Performance Suspension shipped today, I can't wait to get it in, I've never have custom valved suspension before.

Cant go wrong with that stuff

• foxracr767

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Just a quick question for anyone who has tried the link. I was thinking about the issues I am having with with turning my bike. Isn't the issue with these bikes the rear end squat's low when coming into corners. With this link it will lower the rear more, correct? This would help straight line stability but not necessarily the corning. I ride about 50/50 desert and mx so I am trying to have a decent setup for both.

• HRC

Posted January 14, 2011 - 12:27 PM

Just a quick question for anyone who has tried the link. I was thinking about the issues I am having with with turning my bike. Isn't the issue with these bikes the rear end squat's low when coming into corners. With this link it will lower the rear more, correct? This would help straight line stability but not necessarily the corning. I ride about 50/50 desert and mx so I am trying to have a decent setup for both.

This is the same thoughts that has been circulating in my head also...

On the 2009-2011 CRF450 it is very clear why it needs it. But on the Yamaha I don´t really understand why it needs it, and find it logical ?

The Honda chassi needs it for getting more stable.

And I assume that the yz450f needs it for better cornering ? But how can a lowering link solve both bikes oposite issues ???:smirk:

(Sorry...I´m not so good explaining my thoughts in english but I hope you understand)

But to sum it all up, the real question is : WHAT PROBLEM ARE WE TRYING TO SOLVE WITH THIS LINK ?

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2011 - 01:39 PM

The Honda chassi needs it for getting more stable.

And I assume that the yz450f needs it for better cornering ? But how can a lowering link solve both bikes oposite issues ???:smirk:

But to sum it all up, the real question is : WHAT PROBLEM ARE WE TRYING TO SOLVE WITH THIS LINK ?

IMO, it can't do both. And it certainly shouldn't improve cornering.

And your last question is a good one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.