possible trade thoughts... 03 yz450 for husky

3 replies to this topic
  • racemx904

Posted January 08, 2011 - 06:08 PM

I have an 04 Husky TE250 and a guy wants to trade a real clean 03 YZ450....

I ride Senior A Hare Scrambles, enduros and occasional MX...

My 250 has a rekluse and other than that pretty stock...

the 450 is bone stock but real clean....

what do you guys think? worries?
heres the 2 bikes

I am worried about starting it after hot....would a Rekluse help? gear it down? tired of getting roosted by 450's....4 speed any problem?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by racemx904, January 08, 2011 - 07:56 PM.
change title

• wags0913

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:17 PM

do it you wont b disapointed very reliable bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2011 - 10:35 PM

The YZ450 in any year model is a purpose-built MX bike, not an enduro machine. They all have high-strung engines (and the '03 is among the snappiest) and close ratio transmissions with a high low gear and a low top gear. The 4 speed isn't really an issue, but the 5's are a better choice. Low gear is the same in either one, and 4th in the 4 speed is about two thirds of the way between 4th and 5th on the 5 speed.

A Rekluse will help a lot. A heavier flywheel is almost mandatory. The engine can be pacified a little by using an alternative CDI. The suspension is a bit stiff for off-road, and the '03 can be especially tiring to ride for a long period until you get used to managing the engine. And you can forget running lights.

But they are very, very reliable, and a lot of fun in their own way. The '03 is a bit dated these days, but not bad. For your purposes, I think I'd pass on it and get a later model, or just something else. Try a test ride to see the difference.

• TripleUp

Posted January 09, 2011 - 10:34 AM

I wouldn't do it, your bike looks way cleaner and has a rekluse in it and that yz is only an 03.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.