04 450 size of hose running from tank to carb?

8 replies to this topic
  • 74dirtdown

Posted January 08, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I just realized that the hose running from the tank down to the carb has a huge crack and with the gas on, the fuel is leaking everywhere. I'd like to run up to the auto store (autozone, advanced auto) and pick up a new hose. I'll have the hose with me, but curious if you know what the size of that hose actually is.

I am assuming a hose is a hose so if that is wrong, let me know what I should be getting.

Thanks

• byggd

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Should be 1/4"

• 74dirtdown

Posted January 08, 2011 - 10:26 AM

I was trying to use the same clamps on the hose, but couldn't find a hose with the inner diameter and outer diameter to match what was on there. Plus the hose on there has a rubber sleeve that also went over the hose. The original hose in my opinion was actually cheap compared to all the other hoses I had ended up looking at. The auto stores didn't have what I was looking for and went with a fuel hose from Lowe's. I won't be able to use the original hose clamps, but will purchase some clamps I can screw down.

• X-Racer

Posted January 08, 2011 - 12:28 PM

A tie-wrap will work in a pinch too...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • schrode

Posted January 08, 2011 - 12:35 PM

Should be 1/4"

this. it's an i.d. measurement.

• miweber929

Posted January 09, 2011 - 05:28 AM

I was trying to use the same clamps on the hose, but couldn't find a hose with the inner diameter and outer diameter to match what was on there. Plus the hose on there has a rubber sleeve that also went over the hose. The original hose in my opinion was actually cheap compared to all the other hoses I had ended up looking at. The auto stores didn't have what I was looking for and went with a fuel hose from Lowe's. I won't be able to use the original hose clamps, but will purchase some clamps I can screw down.

Inner diameter is the only measurement you really care about and honestly if you can get it on the barbs and they stay and dont leak using whatever to clamp it you are fine. As long as it's fuel line however. My buddy found out the hard way.

Fuel injection stuff is different as it's under pressure and you need special clamps and thicker hose.

• 74dirtdown

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks,

The hose I got was a fuel line and has the, what looks like twine, rope, etc... running trough the hose. The original one didn't have have anything special in it.

They also slid on very tight and my gut tells me clamps are not even needed based on how the hose sort of has no real room to slide out of its current position.

• byggd

Posted January 09, 2011 - 09:46 AM

this. it's an i.d. measurement.

For the most part the ID is all that matters. I run 1/4" fuel injection hose and because it is so thick walled it doesnt even require clamps.

• lumpy790

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:20 AM

PM sent

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.