how can you tell if your forks are bent,

9 replies to this topic
  • md30

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:43 PM

or if its your handle bars?

definitely something is bent because the steering is not aligned straight when i am traveling straight, it is slightly bent right, so if i were to align the handlebars, the bike would steer left. right.

• adem188

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:47 PM

omg i had this problem the fist time i crashed the crf450r and never really fixed it 100% which annoyed me but my brothers mate who worked as a motorcycle mecahnic fixed it as much as possible he changed the handle bars im guessin its your handle bars causeif u have a good brand handle bar like pro taper or renthali believe they have weak points which bend first good luck

• RedRider3141

Posted January 07, 2011 - 04:51 PM

More than likely, unless it was a huge crash, your forks are just twisted in the clamps or the bars are tweaked. Both of these can happen in fairly easy get offs.

• ron_m

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:02 PM

I would start out with the cheapest possible attempt at a solution to your alignment issue. Loosen the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts as well as the front axle pinch bolts. Find a sturdy post, pole, or wall and brace your front tire up against it. Twist the handlebars until everything lines up properly. If the handlebars, handlebar clamps and fork tubes are not bent at all then everything should end up being re-aligned properly. Providing that the alignment is correct after doing this, position your bike with the front tire in a wheel chock like you were going to haul it on a trailer. You may have to slightly tweak the alignment again after having positioned the bike's front wheel in a wheel chock on a trailer. Use tie-downs to put down force on your front end and then re-torque the front axle pinch bolts followed by the upper and lower triple clamp bolts. Again, providing that none of the previously mentioned parts are bent, your problem will be solved. You may have still have to do this even if you end up having to replace your handlebars and/or handlebar clamps.

I hope this helps you out and saves you some money.

Ron

• md30

Posted January 08, 2011 - 06:28 AM

I would start out with the cheapest possible attempt at a solution to your alignment issue. Loosen the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts as well as the front axle pinch bolts. Find a sturdy post, pole, or wall and brace your front tire up against it. Twist the handlebars until everything lines up properly. If the handlebars, handlebar clamps and fork tubes are not bent at all then everything should end up being re-aligned properly. Providing that the alignment is correct after doing this, position your bike with the front tire in a wheel chock like you were going to haul it on a trailer. You may have to slightly tweak the alignment again after having positioned the bike's front wheel in a wheel chock on a trailer. Use tie-downs to put down force on your front end and then re-torque the front axle pinch bolts followed by the upper and lower triple clamp bolts. Again, providing that none of the previously mentioned parts are bent, your problem will be solved. You may have still have to do this even if you end up having to replace your handlebars and/or handlebar clamps.

I hope this helps you out and saves you some money.

Ron

thanks for the tip ron! sounds simple enough, but i dont have any tie-downs. is that part totally necessary? couldnt i just tighten the front axle pinch bolts and clamps carefully without having it tied down? ill give it a go once the weather improves.

• ron_m

Posted January 08, 2011 - 08:49 AM

You can try to omit the tie-down portion of the process, but it does help to make sure that the front axle is seated properly before the pinch bolts are re-torqued. However, you can give it a shot without them and check to see how everything works out for you.

Best of luck to you!

Ron

• jayc250x

Posted January 09, 2011 - 07:04 PM

thanks for the tip ron! sounds simple enough, but i dont have any tie-downs. is that part totally necessary? couldnt i just tighten the front axle pinch bolts and clamps carefully without having it tied down? ill give it a go once the weather improves.

Your forks are not bent. Get in front of your bike, straddle the front wheel and pinch it with your knees. Grab the bars and give a mighty yank to the right (to straighten the bars). Just like you used to do with your bicycles when you were 12. Really.

If it is stubborn, loosen up the axle pinch bolts and the TOP triple clamp pinch bolts, then give the forks a wiggle. Tighten them all back up and you'll be all set.

JayC

• md30

Posted January 10, 2011 - 01:16 AM

Your forks are not bent. Get in front of your bike, straddle the front wheel and pinch it with your knees. Grab the bars and give a mighty yank to the right (to straighten the bars). Just like you used to do with your bicycles when you were 12. Really.

If it is stubborn, loosen up the axle pinch bolts and the TOP triple clamp pinch bolts, then give the forks a wiggle. Tighten them all back up and you'll be all set.

JayC

haha okay, ill try this today if it doesnt rain and let you know. thanks a lot

• Woody R

Posted January 10, 2011 - 02:39 AM

Just stand on the bike and check on the handlebar if it aligns to the top of the fork and you should see, happened me few times that the handlebar isnt aligned after a crash since its rubber mounts

• n2omike

Posted January 10, 2011 - 09:27 AM

My son tweaked the forks in their clamps AND bent a set of aluminum Pro-Taper bars on his CRF230F... but didn't bend the forks... and he did it all in the same crash.

To straighten the forks, loosen the clamps, at least the top ones, and either hold the front wheel between your own, or someone else's legs, and straighten.

To check for bent bars... If they are the traditional 7/8" bars with the bar in the middle, eyeball the bar to the bolts that hold the bar clamps. If they are visibly out of line with the wheel straight, the bars are bent.

Good Luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

xr280r break-in by 93XR277R

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

CR steering stem specifications(pics) by kawamatt2

• Hot  64 replies
Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

• Hot  57 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 - 440 kit long term longevity by XR Pilot

• Hot  51 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 carb tuning(96-97 difference after 97) by NEODS

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.