Yz450F 2005 which oil?

20 replies to this topic
  • elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:57 AM

hey guys.

I am thinking about buying a big amount of oil, so i dont have to go to the local dealer every time im going for an oil change.

my question is simply, would silkolene comp 4 oil be good enough for my engine. i'm going to change oil every 5 hours. and i'm far from pro. i kinda beginner.
and what viscosity should i go for?

Sorry my bad English, :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2011 - 10:24 AM

Yes it will be good enough. The oil requirements are in the manual. This includes recommendations as to viscosity. Usually, a multi-grade 40 weight (?w-40) is adequate, but if the temperatures go high enough, a 50 is advisable.

• YamaLink

Posted January 07, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Perfect idea!

• elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 10:49 AM

my manual says:
Recommended oil:
At 5 °C (40 °F) or higher È
Yamalube 4 (20W-40) or SAE
20W-40 type SG motor oil
(Non-Friction modified)
At 15 °C (60 °F) or lower É
Yamalube 4 (10W-30) or SAE
10W-30 type SG motor oil
(Non-Friction modified)
and/or
Yamalube 4-R (15W-50)
(Non-Friction modified)

in Denmark were i live we have like 5°C to 30°c in the season, in the winter we have lower but im not riding at winther.

i know my manual doesen't say that, but could i use a 10w-40, because that would fit to the weather i Denmark?

Manual:
API STANDARD:
API “SG” or higher grade
(Designed primarily for
motorcycles)

And silkolene comp 4, specifications: API classifications: SF and SG
JASO rating: MA

so i quess that would be good enough.

but silkolene has also made their pro 4 series oils.
what is better in that oil compared to comp 4. i can inform that they got same specifications Like API and JASO .? :smirk:

• tech24

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:18 PM

Yes 10w40 is ideal for most situations. And it will be fine to use. I run aimsoil 10w40 year round. Not sure why its not in the manual. Age of manual I assume.

• elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:35 PM

I downloaded the manual a week ago. on yamaha's website. :smirk:

i think im going to buy some 10w-40 oil.

can anyone tell me what the difference is between: silkolene Comp 4 oil, and Silkolene pro 4 oil? except the price B)

• rickallen124

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:13 PM

Pro 4 is full synthetic and the comp is semi-synthetic.

• elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:18 PM

i knew that :smirk: B)
But i'm thinking of a more specific reason to use Silkoline pro instead of silkolene comp, when all people tell me that silkolene comp oils is good enough for my yz450F :busted:

But thanks for your help, so far, i appreciate it :p

• tech24

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:22 PM

i knew that :smirk: B)
But i'm thinking of a more specific reason to use Silkoline pro instead of silkolene comp, when all people tell me that silkolene comp oils is good enough for my yz450F :busted:

But thanks for your help, so far, i appreciate it :p

You just have to ask yourself if good enough is good enough for you or if you want better or the best???? I prefer synthetics myself. Technically $4 yamalube is good enough but its not the greatest. These engines are hard on oil and they don't hold much but the choice is yours and either will work.

• rickallen124

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Just depends on what you want. If your changing your oil every 5hrs than the comp would be fine and certainly better than standard oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:32 PM

You just have to ask yourself if good enough is good enough for you or if you want better or the best???? I prefer synthetics myself. Technically $4 yamalube is good enough but its not the greatest. These engines are hard on oil and they don't hold much but the choice is yours and either will work.

so if i use the comp 4 oil, my engine would not last as long as if i used pro 4 oils?

Sorry, about all my questions, but i am new on 4-stroke bikes. just need to get the basics done, i wont spend a lot more mony on something that is not necessary, hope you understand :smirk:

• dgcars

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:38 PM

Sorry for butting in....The Pro oil will last longer than Comp oil. If you are going to do frequent oil changes....every few hours/couple of rides....don't waste your money on Pro.

• elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Sorry for butting in....The Pro oil will last longer than Comp oil. If you are going to do frequent oil changes....every few hours/couple of rides....don't waste your money on Pro.

So in the theory, if i run silkolene pro. i could run like 10 hour.
and if i run comp. like 5 hour.

that is what u ment right? :smirk:

• dgcars

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:58 PM

If you are dirt riding, then 10 hours, in my opinion, is too long between changes. No matter what oil you use, it will still have 10 hours of dirt in it. Not good for your motor....:smirk:

• sro2004

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:01 PM

Just a thought...before buying a huge quantity, pick up a few quarts and run the oil in your bike for a few rides.

I have an '09 YZ450...and when I tried running a different oil one time, the clutch action changed drastically (no feel...clutch was on or off) I switched back to semi-syn Yamalube and my clutch action returned to "normal".

• dgcars

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:04 PM

Just a thought...before buying a huge quantity, pick up a few quarts and run the oil in your bike for a few rides.

I have an '09 YZ450...and when I tried running a different oil one time, the clutch action changed drastically (no feel...clutch was on or off) I switched back to semi-syn Yamalube and my clutch action returned to "normal".

+1. I recall that my book calls for a semi-syn.....???

• elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:07 PM

by theory i ment just some numbers :smirk:
said another way, if i run silkolene pro oils i could run a little longe then if i used comp oils B)

SRO2004. good point i will do that :busted:

but using silkolene comp 4 oil instead of the silkolene pro 4, wont affect my engine life ? :p if the oil is replaced every 5 hour. :D

• dgcars

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:18 PM

No...:smirk:

• elkjaer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thanks alot. think i got i all right know.

i think im going to buy a l. Silkolene comp 4 oil, and se how my yz450 runs on it. :smirk:

Thanks alot to all B)

• tech24

Posted January 07, 2011 - 04:14 PM

Yes you could run the full synthetic a little longer. I doubt your engine life will be changed much either way with frequent oil changes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.