Anyone made their own spark arrestor?

5 replies to this topic
  • jj

Posted March 23, 2001 - 10:06 PM

Hey all! As you've probalbly all noticed I'm trying to outfit my WR 400 with a YZ exhaust.

I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in making their own spark arrestor for their YZ exahust.

Yes I have seen the BMP arrestor kit. :)

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• James_Dean

Posted March 23, 2001 - 11:53 AM

I took the screen out of an old Cobra Sparky and formed it into a cup shape about the size of a jigger. Then pushed it into the tailpipe and made some shims to pop-rivet the screen securely. It adds some backpressure which reduces top end but adds low end torque. The bike is quieter too which keeps the neighbors happier. To uncork it I just drill out the 2 rivets and pull it out. Works good for a very light and fairly quiet S/A. It doesn't have the government stamp but the screen came from one that did.

James

• jj

Posted March 23, 2001 - 05:38 PM

Thanks James. I assume you drilled out the rivets holding the tailpipe on, how did you put it back on?

Do you think there is anything special about the screen material being used in these arrestors other than the fact they are probably stainless?

Thanks again.

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • teamtoxic

Posted March 23, 2001 - 07:11 PM

first off, I'm assuming you're looking into installing a spark arrestor to prevent being ticketed for not having one.

I'm sure you CAN make your own spark arrestor, however, if it hasn't been approved by the United States Forestry Department(USFD) you can still be ticketed for not having an approved spark arrestor.

Just my 2 cents :)

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

• jj

Posted March 24, 2001 - 07:11 AM

Yep, I'm aware.

I've never, I repeat never seen any offcial look to see if a spark arrestor is forestry approved. I have however seen them jam a stick down the pipe to check to see if there is a screen there.

You are correct though if I were to get that one officer that does look for the Forestry sert I could get a ticket...

------------------

• teamtoxic

Posted March 24, 2001 - 06:36 PM

You're right about that. I've encountered many DNR officers trail riding, and I've never had them check to see if my spark arrestor is USFD approved. Usually they check to make sure I have my ORV sticker and thats it.

And yeah it would take one jerk of an officer to ticket you for not having an APPROVED sparky. At least you're making the effort to prevent those sparks from flying. :)

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.