No oil on dipstick

31 replies to this topic
  • flapwick

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:14 PM

I could blow through it easily when the left sidecover was off.Crap........I didn't understand your instructions.Everything is completely back together now. So.....If I remove the breather hose from the clutch case side and blow into it,it should be difficult to blow air into the tank?Or should I not be able to blow air into it at all?

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2011 - 07:46 AM

As far as I know, you shouldn't really be able to move air through the tank at all. The only way in should be the vent line, and the only way out should be by forcing air past the two oil pumps. Under normal circumstances, when you drain the oil tank from the plug on the left side, you should need to remove the dip stick in order to get the tank to vent well enough to drain.

Another test would be to remove the dip stick and attach a funnel to the vent fitting with a hose, then fill the empty tank with 28-30 ounces of oil. That should show on the dip stick, and it should stay at that level for at least a good ten minutes. If it won't, you need to open up both sides and find out how it's getting out of the tank.

• flapwick

Posted January 12, 2011 - 08:27 AM

Gray,If the vent hose is restricted will this keep the oil from getting to the tank resulting in no oil on the dipstick? I gotta go to work,but I'll get back on this this evening.Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2011 - 09:02 AM

It could certainly cause a problem, yes. But from the sound of things, I don't think that's what's happening here.

• flapwick

Posted January 12, 2011 - 09:24 PM

Okay........I can blow air pretty freely into the cases at the vent by the dipstick.Oil was in,all bolts were in,and I was holding my thumb over the vent hose from the clutchcase.I could not blow enough air into it to feel air or make oil come out of that hose.I added oil until there was exactly 1.5 liters in my bike and I still got zero reading on the dipstick.I'm not sure if this is any kind of clue,but yesterday when I drained the oil out of the left side stator cover by removing it,ALL the oil came out.Very little came out of the right side drain bolt when I removed it. What next??

• flapwick

Posted January 12, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hey Grayracer,I saw an earlier post where you mention having seen the drive pin sheared off the return rotor which caused poor oil return back to the tank, though it still basically worked. And that the feed pump was still working well(hence the good reading out of the drain bolt??).What do you think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Okay........I can blow air pretty freely into the cases at the vent by the dipstick. Oil was in,all bolts were in,and I was holding my thumb over the vent hose from the clutchcase.I could not blow enough air into it to feel air or make oil come out of that hose.I added oil until there was exactly 1.5 liters in my bike and I still got zero reading on the dipstick.I'm not sure if this is any kind of clue,but yesterday when I drained the oil out of the left side stator cover by removing it,ALL the oil came out.Very little came out of the right side drain bolt when I removed it. What next??

Really hard to follow....

Where did you add the oil? Which hole did you pour it into?

• flapwick

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:26 AM

The oil filler hole on the stator side case.There isn't any other filler hole,right?
That sentence you highlighted was just to let you know how much oil I had added to the original 1 liter and that it still isn't reading for lack of oil.The sentence after that was from the day before.........I'm getting frustrated

• flapwick

Posted January 13, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Any thoughts on my other idea's?

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2011 - 09:26 AM

The oil filler hole on the stator side case.There isn't any other filler hole,right?
That sentence you highlighted was just to let you know how much oil I had added to the original 1 liter and that it still isn't reading for lack of oil.The sentence after that was from the day before.........I'm getting frustrated

You aren't proving anything about the integrity of the oil tank by filling it in the normal manner. Reread:

....remove the dip stick and attach a funnel to the vent fitting with a hose, then fill the empty tank with 28-30 ounces of oil. That should show on the dip stick, and it should stay at that level for at least a good ten minutes. If it won't, you need to open up both sides and find out how it's getting out of the tank.

• flapwick

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:00 PM

At this point it appears that I'm gonna have to take off both sides whatever else I find.I'm gonna pull the clutch and look at the pump.

• flapwick

Posted January 30, 2011 - 05:49 PM

Found the problem.....The "dogleg" broke off a gear and punched a huge hole in the right side centercase.Took a chunk out of my near new Wiseco crank.Cha-ching........

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.