03 yz450 wants to jump in to gear

7 replies to this topic
  • kjh440

Posted January 06, 2011 - 03:34 PM

Something I noticed at the end of the season with my bike, as I would rev in neutral, when warming it up or waiting for my son, it seemed to want to jump in to gear. Had to rev with the clutch engaged after it did jump once.
Doesn't seem like a normal thing to do.
Something I should look at this winter?

Had the bike for a year now. No issues running trails other than what was noted.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 04:19 PM

I have no real clear idea what you're trying to say. For one thing, the clutch is engaged when you let the lever out, and disengaged or released when you pull the lever in.

So, what? It jumps into gear on it's own?

• kjh440

Posted January 06, 2011 - 04:29 PM

To clarify, it wants to jump on its own. I have started using the clutch as a just in case.

Hope this is clearer.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hope this is clearer.

Nope, sorry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tpastrana

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:10 AM

Nope, sorry.

Pretty sure what hes saying is when he starts the bike and revs it freely with the clutch engaged, the bike will pop into gear, then goes on to say he starts it in neutral with the clutch pulled in as a safety precaution, just in case the the the bike pops in gear.

I expect you to understand normal, everyday English haha just kidding.

haha oops

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:23 AM

I expect you to understand normal, everyday English

What has become "everyday English" is, unfortunately, not always intelligible.

What I gather from re-reading what the OP said, guessing a bit, and of course, your invaluable assistance, is that when the bike is supposedly in neutral, it will sometimes lurch forward. He does not say to what degree this happens, specifically, does it actually drop into gear and kill the engine, then remaining in gear until shifted back to neutral, or does it kind of grab, lurch forward, and release again? Is there a grinding or clashing noise associated with this?

Without further details, here's what comes to mind:

• It's not really in neutral when it does this, but between two other gears, allowing it to fall into gear for lack of any index to hold the shift cam.
  • It is in neutral between 1st and 2nd, but there is a problem with the shift cam indexing lever ("stopper lever") that prevents it from holding the cam properly.
  • A shift fork is so badly bent that it allows contact between two gears while in neutral.
  • One of the free gears in the trans is trying to seize to its shaft intermittently.

• kjh440

Posted January 07, 2011 - 04:15 PM

Sorry for the ambiguity. Was doing too many things at once.

With the bike in neutral, no clutch it has jumped in to gear and stalled, remained in gear. This was while revving. It is ok at idle.
Prior to doing this, was a sound that was similar to clashing, gear teeth getting close to engaging.
As you mentioned a bent shift fork, could that account for difficulty of the gear shift lever returning to center position? Noted a couple of times but just for 4th gear.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Possibly. Check the things I listed, and also look at how well the lever on the inside end of the shift shaft centers on the shift pawl assembly. A bent lever, bent centering pin, or bent/broken centering spring may be at fault, too.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.