something wrong, exhaust is glowing

8 replies to this topic
  • lee-yzf426

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:19 PM

1st off how do you post pics so you can see the exhaust glowing?

right after all the weeks of minus temperature i noticed a small hair line crack in the head only about half inch to and inch long,and it was leaking a small amount of water, so ive covered it with an epoxy metal putty, which go off rock solid wen mixed tegether , ive only done this as a tempory untill i can get a new head sorted, and it has sealed the crack bacause water no longer comes out , what ive noticed now was my exhaust starting to glow from the head covering about 8 inches of the exhaust, it starts to glow within 30 seconds of starting the bike, the exhaust isnt blocked because ive put my hand over the exit of the exhaust and you can feel plenty of gases escaping , so my question is has the crack caused this to happen or is it something else gone wrong or going wrong

any help would be great because im needing to sell the bike to upgrade

cheers lee

• kawi380

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:22 PM

you most likely have a lean condition. if the weather has turned cold, a rejet is most likely in order.

• cbxken

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:26 PM

My '05 450 does the same thing and I was told by the local bike shop that this is normal due to the very thin pipe walls and lean carbs from the factory. I didn't not notice it when the temp outside was warm just now that it is cold when the air is denser further leaning out the bike. The bike would benefit from a jet kit.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:40 PM

Jet kits are a waste of money.

If you ran the engine in any sort of reduced light, like in a garage at night with less than commercial shop grade lighting, and ran the bike for more than 30-40 seconds, the exhaust will normally glow. I said normally. Nothing wrong in that at all.

Read: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:59 PM

1st off how do you post pics so you can see the exhaust glowing?

right after all the weeks of minus temperature i noticed a small hair line crack in the head only about half inch to and inch long,and it was leaking a small amount of water, so ive covered it with an epoxy metal putty, which go off rock solid wen mixed tegether , ive only done this as a tempory untill i can get a new head sorted, and it has sealed the crack bacause water no longer comes out , what ive noticed now was my exhaust starting to glow from the head covering about 8 inches of the exhaust, it starts to glow within 30 seconds of starting the bike, the exhaust isnt blocked because ive put my hand over the exit of the exhaust and you can feel plenty of gases escaping , so my question is has the crack caused this to happen or is it something else gone wrong or going wrong

any help would be great because im needing to sell the bike to upgrade

cheers lee

OEM titanium thinwall exhaust tubing inherantly will glow if no air is circulated across the surface. As soon as some air cools the pipe the glowing will dissapear. Get used to it, and don't worry about it. My brand new 2002 WR250 I fired it up at night in my garage for the first time and absolutely freaked out when I first saw the head pipe glow cherry red !!

• beezer

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:19 AM

That's how I light my cigars.

• dgcars

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Ride for another 30 secs & the glow will go. -3*c today, your nose will be redder

• Gunner354

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:48 AM

OEM titanium thinwall exhaust tubing inherantly will glow if no air is circulated across the surface. As soon as some air cools the pipe the glowing will dissapear. Get used to it, and don't worry about it. My brand new 2002 WR250 I fired it up at night in my garage for the first time and absolutely freaked out when I first saw the head pipe glow cherry red !!

The statement is half true. Stainless Steel will glow also. By the way I believe your wr had a ss head pipe.

• Mxmonster11

Posted April 29, 2016 - 11:25 PM

Just got an 06 wr250 in trade and ive noticed the same thing glowing right at the head this is my 1st 4 stroke and ive never experienced this before

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.