Best yr for off-road yz450

17 replies to this topic
  • 99raptor

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Like to buy a leftover yz450.What year seems to offer the best for hare scrambles type of venue.

• YamaLink

Posted January 07, 2011 - 06:11 AM

I thought the 08 YZF was a great off-road option.

• tech24

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:07 AM

I would guess most of them with the proper mods

• ectm3

Posted January 07, 2011 - 11:38 AM

Depending on how old you want to go,the 06 model had the best power curve.Everyone i know who owns a 08-09 want the cams and cdi from the 06.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:10 PM

Depending on how old you want to go,the 06 model had the best power curve.Everyone i know who owns a 08-09 want the cams and cdi from the 06.

The 06 suspension SUCKS for woods until you get it revalved. Lower gearing and a fly wheel weight are a must for tight/technical conditions.

• thmike

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:33 PM

I had the 06. The power was amazing! For trails I soften the forks by taking some oil out and it works great. I would get the suspension revalved if many going to be a trail bike. I rode tracks mostly. I know have a 08 ktm 250sx and it rocks on the trail. So much lighter

• Yzf_Buz

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:41 PM

The 06 suspension SUCKS for woods until you get it revalved. Lower gearing and a fly wheel weight are a must for tight/technical conditions.

I am on an '06 with Devol Suspension, Megabomb header with the Carbon 4.1 behind it and re-jetted carb and so far so good out in the woods. I wouldn't say it Sucks, it may be a little too big for tight woods tho for my smaller to average build but if you are a larger built person maybe.........I dunno just my experience so far:cheers:

• cbxken

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:46 PM

Stay away from the '05 and older 4 speeds. Stall way to easy even with lower gearing and flywheel weight.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:55 PM

I am on an '06 with Devol Suspension, Megabomb header with the Carbon 4.1 behind it and re-jetted carb and so far so good out in the woods. I wouldn't say it Sucks, it may be a little too big for tight woods tho for my smaller to average build but if you are a larger built person maybe.........I dunno just my experience so far:cheers:

Read what I said carefully, I said the 06 suspension SUCKS until you get it revalved. Yours is already revalved by Devol according to your post. I stand by what I said having fought with this pig for too long before I got the suspension revalved. HUGE improvement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF450RIDER07

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:51 PM

What do you guys think of the 2010? Is the power different than the 09? My friend has an 09 and I dont care much for the power curve.

• Gunner354

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Stay away from the '05 and older 4 speeds. Stall way to easy even with lower gearing and flywheel weight.

A Rekluse is a must in my book. Your issues are eliminated.
I own an 09 yz450 and I can honestly say it is the best bike I have owned to date. Feels very light on single track and the suspension stock is very good. Of course the stock pipe is terrible so an aftermarket pipe is needed. I also installed an 06 cdi and now the motor is perfect.

• MaddogYZ

Posted January 08, 2011 - 07:50 AM

What do you guys think of the 2010? Is the power different than the 09? My friend has an 09 and I dont care much for the power curve.

What exactly didn't you like about the 09? The 2010 has a very aggressive low end hit way to much for off road IMO. You can tune some of that hit out with an EFI tuner though. Personally, for offroad I think the power curve of a stock 08-09 is perfect, I could see putting a slip-on on but cams and cdi are overkill for trails and you'll spin a lot more.

• tech24

Posted January 08, 2011 - 10:49 AM

What exactly didn't you like about the 09? The 2010 has a very aggressive low end hit way to much for off road IMO. You can tune some of that hit out with an EFI tuner though. Personally, for offroad I think the power curve of a stock 08-09 is perfect, I could see putting a slip-on on but cams and cdi are overkill for trails and you'll spin a lot more.

The 2010 "hit" is a bit of a handful for offroad however can be remedied. I Have a G2 throttle with a slower opening speed, an offroad flywheel, and a z-start-pro. If these don't do enough for you the injectioneering throttle body mod is also an option.

• Dick Falcon

Posted January 08, 2011 - 09:20 PM

i love my 09,its the shit offroad!i do have the 06 cdi im looking for the 06 ex cam.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I got an '08 in spring and love it, just 2 things: 1) Set it up properly, heavy flywheel and gearing. 2) DO NOT USE RACE GAS.
When i ran 110 leaded it stalled so bad it was not even manageable to finish a 2 hr hare scramble in the woods. I'm 19 and in shape but trying to restart in every 7 minutes was just too much. I now run straight pump gas and it never stalls.
I'm 6'3" and 190lbs and i dont think the bike is too heavy even in super tight and technical stuff. These thing are really picky as to how clean the air filter is, kept it clean and it will be rock solid reliable. The PC fan mod is a must for tight single track riding. Basically just a 90mm computer fan mounted behind the radiator to keep the air flowing.

The '08 got major improvements over the '07 and the '09 refined those improvements.

I wouldnt trade my bike for anything, here's my setup:
GYTR off road heavy flywheel
GYTR 52 tooth rear sprocket
Pro Taper ATV race bend (very tall and wide) w/ pillow top grips
Jetted
Iridium spark plug (helped with starting when hot/cold and a little better throttle response)
Kenda desert it tires fornt and rear
DID x ring chain
Zip Ty fuel screw
PC Fan mod
and more minor stuff...

Hope this helped. bill804

• yzf-farmer

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'm on my second 06. I sold my first one to jump on the 08-09 bandwagon and ended up back on a 06. Most of my riding is desert style riding with an occasional hare scramble. I've revalved the susp. for me (vet expert) and a revloc clutch, 18" rear wheel and a Wr trans. Of course the usual stuff, oversized tank and Dr.D full exhaust. Performance is steller,ridability is awesome. For me it's the perfect all around bike

• brentn

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I have a 2010 and use it for only offroad. Low end is very useful in the woods regardless of what others will say, you do not need to tune it out.

• rmunch44

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:59 AM

I picked up a 07 last year and so far so good. Flywheel weight made the biggest difference for me. All harescramble type trail riding.
GYTR heavy flywheel weight
GYTR skid plate
TM Designworks chain roller
Windham bend bars (i'm 6'0 btw)
Unabiker Rad guards
Boysen quickshot
Maxxis Maxxcross si tires

Super reliable and has not needed the valves adjusted yet with 130 hrs on it. Just put a cam chain in it last week and the compression was in check. Happy huntin

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On Yesterday, 06:20 PM

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.