Carb help, bike not getting gas

43 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:07 PM

its gonna be something stupid.....(atleast if it were mine)

Yeah I'm really at a loss. Taking care of the little guy right now so hopefully get back at her this evening.
Bummer you had to sell your WR B)
Good to still see you around here though :smirk:

• tribalbc

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:11 PM

just re read the first post...could the missing fuel screw oring be lodged in the carb ? blocking that circuit ? (no answer for the missing washer tho)

I'm pretty sure I found the destroyed oring when I was pulling the bowl. The best I can see down that passage with a bright light it's clear. Can't feel anything with a pick either...

• jayh300

Posted January 06, 2011 - 02:15 PM

Yeah I'm really at a loss. Taking care of the little guy right now so hopefully get back at her this evening.
Bummer you had to sell your WR B)
Good to still see you around here though :smirk:

yeah... me too... its all good.. i still get to ride, we just kinda got in a bind..
the wr was the only bike that would bring any money, so.... i still bleed yamaha blue, that wont change..

this too shall pass...

• tribalbc

Posted January 06, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Well timing and valve clearances are textbook.....

• tribalbc

Posted January 06, 2011 - 09:56 PM

Well I can smell gas in the exhaust now, but still no start B)
I've been through alot of things and I'm starting to bang my head :smirk:
I pulled my stator (as I put on a new trail tech one and regulator) to make sure no wires were pinched even though I was seeing what appeared to be a strong spark. All good there. Checked spark again and it's a strong blue spark. It will arc an 1/8 of an inch or so to ground.
So I'm running around in circles and I wonder....

Will flow porting possibly make a bike harder to start?

My bike already was a hard first start in the cold with the YZ cams and 13.5-1 piston, you had to have the sequence just right. I thought by going to the WR exhaust cam and richening my jetting a bit it would be easier but.....
If flow porting compounds the problem I'm going to stop beating my head against the wall and wait for it to warm up a bit and try firing her up.

• William1

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:52 AM

Try leaning your pilot back to what it was.

Use a new spark plug

• tribalbc

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:43 AM

Try leaning your pilot back to what it was.

Use a new spark plug

I'll try but it was already a little lean when it was cold with fuel screw 2 turns out before. I ran a 45, so a little leaner than most that run a 48. I have a 48 in there now, screw 1.5 turns out. Maybe I'll try the fuel screw in more, I haven't messed with that. Should I look at my starter jet?

Plug that's in there now is my last new one, there's none available in town right now, I need to order some. I've tried my new plug as well as the last plug that was in there before rebuild...

• William1

Posted January 07, 2011 - 10:26 AM

You need to slow down a little.

Your bike ran before. What changed?
You richened everything without testing to tell you that you needed to richen it, you ass-u-me-d. Two turns on the fuel screw was fine. As long as you di 'the test' and it determined two was right, then you overly richened it with a 48. I know guys in AK running 45's, the 48 being too rich at -40. A lot of guys run 42's too.
You mixed up camshafts.

Put the jetting back to what worked. Still have the vacuum port capped off from the AIS?

You may want to put the old cams back and then do ONE change at a time.

• stinky1

Posted January 07, 2011 - 11:47 AM

I would check your cam timing again. When I put the 290 kit on the 250, I had the head ported and the jetting had to leaned out quiet a bit.

• tribalbc

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Well I'm giving this a bit of a rest while I finnish all the chassis work I need to do. I'm going to run a heater by the bike for a day, get it nice and warm and go back to my old jetting.
Timing is good
It's getting spark
I smell fuel now from the exhaust
I get the odd backfire
Hopefully it's just a fine tuning jetting issue.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Jetting can be fairly far off and a bike will run though bad jetting can make starting a royal pain. I think it is the cams/timing and the jetting

Leave the spark plug out of the bike, crank it a bunch then let it sit till tomorrow or when evern (let the fuel evaporate). Leave a paper towel over the top of the cvalve cover to keep bugs out and let it get air.

• tribalbc

Posted March 17, 2011 - 04:18 PM

So I'm back. Weathers warmed up, tried starting her. Tilted bike over till gas came out overflow, gave a couple squirts of throttle. Kicked like 30 times, then tried bumping her, runs through compression nice and sounds like she wants to go, but soon as you give more throttle she cuts right out. Kicked a bunch more times, odd backfire. Pulled the plug and she's bone dry again :bonk:
Good spark
So fuel comes out the petcock steady
Comes out overflow steady with valve and petcock open
About 4 oz comes out when you drain carb.
Accelerator pump squirts

Things changed, are needle jet emulsion tube and the fuel screw with possible missing oring and washer.
Slide was not removed.
Have blown through all vent tubes loking for obstruction
Blown through fuel intake nozzle with floats open.

Ideas :thumbsup:

• William1

Posted March 17, 2011 - 05:07 PM

If the AP squirts, and you kick it, it should fire off using the AP squirt. From what you are saying, it does almost nothing. I think you need to review your electrics and triple check the cam timing.

• tribalbc

Posted March 17, 2011 - 05:18 PM

If the AP squirts, and you kick it, it should fire off using the AP squirt. From what you are saying, it does almost nothing. I think you need to review your electrics and triple check the cam timing.

In my experience though, a bike kicked and squirted with throttle that many times should have a soaked plug :thumbsup:

I've triple checked my timing, it's not the first time I've swapped cams on this bike....
I suspected electrics but it's a really strong spark, and the plug is dry....

Possible issue with flow porting and valve install??????
Do a leakdown test to se if the intakes are opening????
Cams turn easily and engage shim cups....

It's not like the intake is wet with gas either......

But when I blow through fuel inlet with carb empty, it flows freely and easier with throttle open...

Thanks for the help :bonk:

• William1

Posted March 18, 2011 - 03:37 AM

Since the AP squirts, the plug is bone dry, the fuel appears to not be going in the engine.
I hate to suggest this but did you try a spritz of starting fluid?

Valves not opening?
With the piston at BDC, remove the cam chain, rotate the intake cam, does the resistance of the valve springs feel 'normal'?

• beezer

Posted March 18, 2011 - 06:51 AM

My WR450 did that when I put cams in it and a bunch of other crap.

Mine didn't want to start either so Mr. Starting Fluid was called upon.

I opened up the airbox door, pulled the air filter aside and gave it a healthy blast.

It started first kick.

Sometimes the WR450 takes a shit and just won't start any other way. The YZ450's I've owned never did that. They would always start even when we ran them on the ice in 0 degree weather.

• tribalbc

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:19 AM

Well I squirted a good load of gas in the spark plug hole and still no fire.
So even though I was getting good spark, I suspected the new trail tech stator and regulator I put in there, something must be up with the spark...
Put the stock stator and regulator in and voila, fired up first kick, sounds good :thumbsup:

• jayh300

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Well I squirted a good load of gas in the spark plug hole and still no fire.
So even though I was getting good spark, I suspected the new trail tech stator and regulator I put in there, something must be up with the spark...
Put the stock stator and regulator in and voila, fired up first kick, sounds good :thumbsup:

awesome dude.... glad you figured it out

• tribalbc

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:36 AM

awesome dude.... glad you figured it out

It was picking my a** yesterday. Got the Suzuki running like a brand new bike, ready to race. But I tried the WR for the first time again yesterday and nothing, and riding season is now upon us here in BC.
But I'm a happy camper now :ride:
Time to break her in :bonk:

• jayh300

Posted March 18, 2011 - 10:08 AM

It was picking my a** yesterday. Got the Suzuki running like a brand new bike, ready to race. But I tried the WR for the first time again yesterday and nothing, and riding season is now upon us here in BC.
But I'm a happy camper now :ride:
Time to break her in :bonk:

no kidding.. i read that post yesterday and was sick for you... we are riding heavy here right now. almost every weekend... we were in the path of the wildfires that came thru here a couple of weeks ago.. scariest thing i have ever seen. we had 10 minutes to leave.. left my truck, dirt bikes in a wooden shop, fuel cans, my tractor.... we were evacuated for 2 days, it was within one block of my house and moving 40 mph in 60 mph winds.. we were spared, alot were not... not one burned spot on my property...

glad you got it fixed...

jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.