426 tranny problems

10 replies to this topic
  • 426beastlover

Posted January 05, 2011 - 04:12 PM

i have a 2001 yz426f the bike will go through all the gears just fine but when i get into 5th the bike just revs up like there is no gear there like i put it in neutral. is my tranny shot?

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 05, 2011 - 05:22 PM

have you drained the oil and inspected it for more metal than normal? hows the clutch? a wearing clutch will show symptoms like yours.

• 426beastlover

Posted January 05, 2011 - 05:53 PM

i did just change the oil and there was a bit more metal then normal. im going to replace the clutch on saturday

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 05, 2011 - 08:21 PM

has the clutch been acting up otherwise?

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2011 - 09:50 PM

i have a 2001 yz426f the bike will go through all the gears just fine but when i get into 5th the bike just revs up like there is no gear there like i put it in neutral. is my tranny shot?

'Fraid so...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426beastlover

Posted January 06, 2011 - 03:39 AM

i dont know i know how that sounds i just bought the bike so i don't know... how the clutch has been acting like i said i'm going to replace the clutch on saturday. SO IS IT CLUTCH OR TRANNY. grayracer513 what do u mean Fraid so... that the clutch is gone or the tranny is shot?

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 07:08 AM

In the quote of your post that I responded to, there is no question about the clutch. If the clutch would slip in 5th as badly as you describe, it would slip in 4th and probably 3rd. Since you say you basically have another neutral where 5th belongs, it's your gearbox.

• pscook

Posted January 06, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Gear third, pinion, gear fourth, pinion, and gear fifth, pinion. The third gear drives the fifth and fourth gears with dogs. Your dogs are worn between third and fifth, might as well replace fourth while you are in there. Three simple gears in a row, the cost is ~$190 for all three including a couple of circlips. This is the third time I am in the transmission on my 426, I am finally doing it right. I really hate splitting cases on this thing. $40 for a gasket set and you are ready to play.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 11:22 AM

Gear third, pinion, gear fourth, pinion, and gear fifth, pinion. The third gear drives the fifth and fourth gears with dogs. Your dogs are worn between third and fifth, might as well replace fourth while you are in there. Three simple gears in a row, the cost is ~$190 for all three including a couple of circlips. This is the third time I am in the transmission on my 426, I am finally doing it right. I really hate splitting cases on this thing. $40 for a gasket set and you are ready to play.

Be sure you replace the shift fork that moves the third pinion too, or you'll be going back in again.

• 426beastlover

Posted January 06, 2011 - 04:05 PM

should i not ride it? will that tear it up more?

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 04:16 PM

The engine and trans use the same oil, so all that broken stuff from the gearbox is running through the engine. What do you think, run it anyway?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.