Frame Painting Question

3 replies to this topic
  • crash279

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:20 PM

I am getting ready to touch up some areas on a couple of my YZ/WR steel frames. This is the link for the paint: http://www.colorrite...-dpbmc-1905.cfm

What works best for touch up applications? Does anybody have any tips on prep/application?

Thanks in advance.

• Kawidad

Posted January 05, 2011 - 09:39 AM

It really kinda depends on what you want to do and how a section of frame you want to repair. I did it when I did the restoration on my WR400. I striped the frame bare and used a gun with a primer undercoat. That's the best way to go. However, you can brush it on if you want. It will leave brush marks, but it'll work.

Your choice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • capt justin

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:10 AM

wow their paint costs as much as the frame

• 2Yamahas

Posted January 06, 2011 - 08:09 PM

I found a fairly close spray paint match at a hobby store. Tamiya model paint # TS-51 Racing Blue. Slightly darker, but not much. Has held up well, except where my boot rubs. To prep, just sand smooth, wipe clean & spray. Primer wouldn't hurt either.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.