98 YZ400F Carb Conversion

29 replies to this topic
  • transamman101

Posted March 14, 2015 - 12:51 PM

Hello, I am new here everone. I just got a 98 yz400f and she had some carb issues. I cleaned it and reuilt it but still had issues. So I took the advice of this thread and got a 03 yz450f carb with the hot start cable. Should the 03 yz450f carb work well with this bike?

• namaher1

Posted March 15, 2015 - 01:06 PM

I have a 98 yz400 and just got through putting a 2007 yz450 carb on it. The conversion is definitely worth it. Overall better throttle response and the bike is just so much smoother, it wakes it up. From what I've heard, a 2003 will work fine. I'm pretty sure you will have to get the 03 throttle cables also but they will work with your original throttle.

• transamman101

Posted March 15, 2015 - 01:22 PM

the throttle cables came with the carb along with the twist tube. It seemed to install pretty easily, but there is still some problems with the bike. I noticed there is a electrical connector up by the front of the engine inbetween the head and radiator with four wires. Except 3 of the wires have been cutt. What does these four wire go to?

• namaher1

Posted March 15, 2015 - 07:08 PM

the throttle cables came with the carb along with the twist tube. It seemed to install pretty easily, but there is still some problems with the bike. I noticed there is a electrical connector up by the front of the engine inbetween the head and radiator with four wires. Except 3 of the wires have been cutt. What does these four wire go to?

They are for either the neutral switch or the stator. You can just follow where they go to tell for sure. Do they look like a clean cut or rubbed through and broke?

• transamman101

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:27 PM

They look like a clean even cut.I believe the connector they go to is connected to the wiring for the stator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2015 - 06:30 AM

The bike may actually be a WR400, or you may have a YZ400 engine in a WR, or who knows what other combo.  The cut off leads could be lighting.

• transamman101

Posted March 16, 2015 - 09:09 AM

Well does the yz wiring harness connector that's connects to the stator wiring harness have four wires or less?

• namaher1

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Well does the yz wiring harness connector that's connects to the stator wiring harness have four wires or less?

I'm pretty sure the stator wiring connector has at least 5 wires so that is more than likely the neutral switch. Will the bike run?

• transamman101

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:37 AM

I can't get it to fire up, so no.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Wiring diagrams:

YZ400 first (no lights) then WR400 (w/lights)

Attached Thumbnails

• YZ.png
  • WR.png

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.