HELP...Burning Lots of Oil YZ450

3 replies to this topic
  • cbesing

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:15 AM

Here is the History..

-New piston/rings 40 hours ago..Checked valves and they were in spec.
-Last trip burned 600CC of oil in one 45 min ride
-Checked valves...very loose both exhaust and intake
-Oil black/metallic after oil change and a warm-up on the stand

Also, I seem to go trough timing chains every 50 hrs or so...I know its time to change because the cam jumps teeth and it wont start.

Any Ideas...

Thanks

Chris

• cbesing

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:16 AM

BTW, its a 07 YZ450F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Sounds like the cylinder plating has failed.

As to the cam chain, it shouldn't be jumping teeth each 50 hours. Replace the tensioner and consider using a different oil or changing it more frequently. You may also want to check the cam caps for signs of seizure.

• tech24

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:01 AM

you could confirm it with a leakage tester if you have access to one, however can't think of anything else that would cause that kind of oil consumtion (something cylinder related that is).

Is it smoking? I would imagine so.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.