did the "film" thing, now my seals are leaking

10 replies to this topic
  • waterman7474

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:48 PM

thanks guys.................should have left well enough alone.

i thought.....sure, all looks fine but it's been 2 years....this is the desert........i'll do a little maintenance. stuck the film in there.........leakin' like crazy.

rebuild now?

• TLRam1

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Replace and be done with them, if they are fairly new try the film again.

• YamaLink

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:26 PM

The other option is to spend waaaaay too much time trying to "uncurl" the tight lip. I've done it. Never worked. Rebuild.

• Navaho6

Posted January 03, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Did you take the forks off. If not, take them off, put the film neg in, hold tight against lower tube, spin the tube, remove film and clean off. Repeat process 2 - 3 times. It has never failed to stop a leak on my bikes. I get leaks all the time but it very rarely is a blown seal. Most of the time, it is a piece of grit trapped in the seal.

• GCannon

Posted January 04, 2011 - 09:54 AM

Did you take the forks off. If not, take them off, put the film neg in, hold tight against lower tube, spin the tube, remove film and clean off. Repeat process 2 - 3 times. It has never failed to stop a leak on my bikes. I get leaks all the time but it very rarely is a blown seal. Most of the time, it is a piece of grit trapped in the seal.

I do this a lot as well. sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work for me. If I see a lot of dirt I try and pull down the dust scraper and clean both sides of it. Then I clean all the dirt out from the area between the seal and the wiper/scraper. Then do film on the seal as described above then hope for the best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Leardriver

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:23 AM

A new seal off ebay is about $11, and once the fork is off, it's 20 min to change a seal. It doesn't have to be a procedure to dread.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 04, 2011 - 12:37 PM

The best bit of advice I can give is to follow Yamaha's recommendations (in the Owners Manual) about cleaning and greasing the dust seals.

I do this every other ride and use (split velcro) seal savers that go in the wash with my riding gear..... but I don't want to start another debate about seal savers here!

My seals have never looked like leaking in 3 years.

Greg

• GCannon

Posted January 04, 2011 - 04:54 PM

I can't seem to decide if the grease between the dust wiper and the oil seal is good or bad. I understand the need for lube but in dusty conditions it seems to pack a gritty mess in there and causes my seals to leak. maybe they just fill with grease and dirt and can't seal.

very light on the grease seems to be working best lately.

• miweber929

Posted January 04, 2011 - 05:23 PM

Don't mean this to sound dumb, but did a piece rip off? Also. The leak while you are running the film under them, but you have to wipe them a few times and they'll stop. You must lower the dust seal, however to do it right.

Mike

• matt4x4

Posted January 06, 2011 - 05:28 AM

When you use a piece of film or a plastic coated business card torn into strips (the better way because it holds onto the dirt better with the rough paper fibers along the torn edge), you should keep the forks upright and angle the film forwards in the direction of movement so the dirt will be forced to move down, you should also use plenty of brake clean to help wash the crud out.
As for grease on the dust seal, the jury is still out on that one - I know it's supposed to catch dirt at the lower edge of the dust seal but the grease continually wipes along the fork tube anyways so IMO it only works for about one moto (longer if you are in first place) :smirk: before you have enough dust mixed in your grease all wiping along the tube - at that point dust alone would be easier for the seal to scrape than dust mixed into sticky grease......

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:36 AM

I pull the dust seals down by prying them carefully with a paint scraper. I then thoroughly wipe all traces of the old grease out and re-pack them totally (again with grease) then bounce the front end up and down 20 or so times, wiping the exposed grease on the tubes off every so often.
Eventually there is no visible grease on the tubes.

Like I said, I do this every other ride (as well as running seal savers that are removed and washed each time) and my seals have never leaked, not even a little bit, since I started doing it.

I live in an area of Australia (east coast) that gets very dusty in warmer weather and very muddy in the colder months.

Definately works for me!

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.