How many teeth do you guys have?

3 replies to this topic
  • Amador

Posted March 22, 2001 - 09:29 AM

Hey, how many teeth are you guy's running on your rear sprocket? I'm particularly interested in those of your riding tight tracks. I just read an article on Tim Ferry's bike. He is running a 55t! Also, I'm new to the track riding. What is the prime gear to be in?? I know this is subjective, but It seems that second is too low and third is too high. I thought that maybe a larger rear sprocket would help out. What do you think?? Thanks for any info.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 22, 2001 - 09:36 AM

I've been happy with running a 14/50 on my 400. I'm usually in 3rd but there is one jump that I do that may be better in low 4th. I've tried it both ways just haven't decided which gear I like better for the jump.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted March 22, 2001 - 11:03 AM

Amador, That same article on Ferry's bike also stated that his first and second gear are closer to third(taller) so going to 55t on your rear sprocket would net different results. That gearing would probably be too low and you may run into problems with clearance on your chain guide. As far as gear selection; simply put, you need to be in a gear where your motor still has crisp response and still hooks up well. I know that probably isn't much help or I'm stating the obvious but, not knowing your track or skill level, its hard to recommend a particular gear to be in. Your best bet would be to find someone near you that has the same bike and go over the track with you.
hope this helps.

------------------
like a kid again!
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 03-22-2001).]

• Amador

Posted March 27, 2001 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the Info guys. I settled on a 51t. I'm hoping that it will give me enough low end to rip out of the corners in third. Tonight is the first test ride!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.