Knee/Shin Guards that work with Pants and/or boots?

22 replies to this topic
  • Jnicola

Posted January 03, 2011 - 02:27 PM

So I must be missing something, or the industry is trying to mess with my head. I'm looking to get some knee protection, and really cover right down to where the boot starts, and hell the shin a bit more if it's possible.

I bought some Fox knee and shin guards, and have some EVS ones I used for snowboard as well (rails to the knees = pain). Both go from my knee down past where the boot comes up... and when I try and jam them into the boot itself, i run into the obvious problem with trying to jam half of west africa into a boot. Then there's the whole "fitting that much into some pants" problem I run into... so now what I have to buy parachute pants?

I'm doing something wrong here or missing something, or I don't know about some product that actually works. Some one set me straight so I can stop beating the shit out of my knees every time I take a digger.

• Trailryder42

Posted January 03, 2011 - 03:31 PM

I stopped wearing "in the boot" pants along time ago because of the tight knees for being able to wear knee/shin gaurds.

I switched to over the boot pants. I think they generally have a more generous cut in the knees, for fitting your knee/shin protection.

Everyone is different. What works for one might not work well for another due to leg length, calf size and so on. If you have big calves there may not be much room to spare in the calves of your boots to stuff additional gaurds into.

I always take that into account when buying boots. I'll buy a boot whos calves would be too big for my leg without wearing guards.

The MSR Comp One have been my gaurd of choice for the last several years.

Edited by Trailryder42, January 03, 2011 - 05:23 PM.

• racemx904

Posted January 03, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I had this problem for years...Moose sold a cool knee pad that covered right to the boot and just went inside to hold it in place...at the last national enduro somebody cleaned my clock and ripped my pants off and 1 knee pad...so I went looking and nothing...crud...so of to Wally World and I came up with Skate board knee pads..they work good so far...and dont move around...I dont like how my boots fit with the shin guards down in them...

• Jnicola

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:41 PM

I don't think anybody likes how boots fit with the shin guards jammed down in them. How the hell can they keep making this crap and trying to market it as useful!?!?

I've been thinking of going with over the boot pants for a little bit now. I may just make the conversion. Over the boot pants tend to be for colder temperatures though it would seem. I ride all year round.

• racemx904

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:15 PM

My Only problem with over the boot pants is that some of the legs are too long and when its muuuddy they seem to stretch and end up past my boot...

• tgj88

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:25 PM

check out the kg 5400 knee guard by Troy Lee Designs.

Edited by tgj88, January 03, 2011 - 05:26 PM.
poor spelling

• Jnicola

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:39 PM

Those look alright, but they're twice the price for half the material?

• d4yton

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:48 PM

i've been running Thor Quadrant shin guards for awhile because they were so cheap. without wearing anything underneath them they will slide down eventually :excuseme:

• 1998YZ400F

Posted January 03, 2011 - 08:23 PM

i have never had a problem with wearing my knee/shin guards under my pants and tucked into my boots. but i do have some chicken legs. haha. i think the guards are EVS, my boots are SIDI, and my pants are o'neal if that matters

• NP4M

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:03 PM

I'm sure the size of your legs have something to do with it, along with the size of the pads, pants and boots. I have no real problem with mine, I loosened the straps on my boots a bit, then just got used to it. I think my first pair was EVS, and I just now got a new set of.....crap, smaller ones (forget the brand). It definately took some getting used to, especially when I went from over the boot pants to in the boot pants.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • michiganmachete

Posted January 04, 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have old school fox pivot knee shin gaurds that work great with my boots, go inside nice, and the boot keeps them from moving around too much. only a single strap holding them!

I do wear over the boot pants though...

• comtnrider

Posted January 04, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Try a pair of 661 Kyle Strait knee pads. These are the most comfortable I have worn. You must put them on first before boots because they are sleeve style, but they stay in place, no rubbing or scratching and they give good protection to the knee. They do not go down in the boot which gives me more room with my Sidi's. :excuseme:

• THE-CHAD

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Moose XCR Knee guards I love mine Posted Image

• Jnicola

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:53 PM

ohhh... those look fairly legit and simple. They don't go down into the boots either eh?

• racemx904

Posted January 06, 2011 - 05:52 AM

That's what I had..loved them...for some reason I didn't see them it the catalog

• NemadjiMan

Posted January 06, 2011 - 09:46 AM

I'm so glad you guys are talking about this. It never made sense to me to have boots with big, ridgid shin guards AND wear long socks AND wear knee guards with big, ridgid shin guards that tuck into your boots AND tuck your pants into your boots. It's no wonder my feet come out of my boots soaking wet with sweat.

At least my overly well protected shins are in perfect condition.

• cascade_crawler

Posted January 06, 2011 - 11:59 AM

thor force knee guards :smirk:

• kskyles

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:01 PM

my next knee guards will be these:

http://www.pricepoin...Knee-Guards.htm

i can't wear the shin/knee guards in the boot because of the size of my calves. i've had good luck finding protective gear on mtn bike websites.

• orlowskij

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:36 PM

I have a few year old version of the Thor Force guards. I don't have very big calves but these tuck pretty comfortably into the top of my SG10s. I wear them with pants in the boots. They would slide down if I were to try and wear them without boots, but they don't go anywhere when tucked in the top.

Posted Image

• jamey1e

Posted January 07, 2011 - 08:01 AM

I wear 661 4x4 knee/shin guards with fox F3 boots and fox gear. They tuck into my boots nicely and are really comfortable but I also have chicken legs.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.