New to WRs

5 replies to this topic
  • T140Read

Posted January 03, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hey guys, been reading through several threads on here and had a few questions.

I've been searching for a new bike to ride in the dirt after being away from it for a minute and found a good deal on a 2003 450. At least it seems like it.

Won't start, but it's been sitting since summer. Ran fine back in the summer. Broken clutch cable is what he thinks is the problem, but that doesn't make much sense to me. All my bikes have been kick start so do you need to pull the clutch in to start it with the E start? I know on some sportbikes you have to, but all my bikes are older than I am without E starts. I asked him if he tried kicking it while in neutral to see if it would fire. He's asking $800.

Pictures look like it's been rode pretty hard, but I work on bikes all the time so I'm not bothered with doing a little freshening up. But I was looking for something I could buy and jump on and go ride without working on it a bunch. I'm in the middle of a rebuild on a MR250 Elsinore right now and it's kicking my butt and I just want a working dirt bike to ride until I get it finished.

Any advice on what to look at or ask about? Kind of not sure I want a 450, but after reading some opinions of it versus the 250, I think I can get used to handling it since this is so cheap. Thanks.

• YamaLink

Posted January 03, 2011 - 08:50 AM

Some projects are fun even though they are time consuming and often costly. But this WR sounds like it has some big problems other than the broken clutch cable.

Or it could just need a new spark plug and the carb cleaned out to start.

• T140Read

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:24 AM

That's kinda what I thought. He just got back to me and said the E start hasn't worked in a while. He always kicked it or bump started it. Just really cantankerous cold I assume. He did say it ran great and would start easily after warm up. But they all kind of say that don't they.

Dropped the price a bit. But I may just wait for something ready to ride to come along. I got enough projects with my Elsinore, a BSA street bike, a Triumph 250 trail bike I'm trying to sell and a Triumph roadrace bike sitting around needing attention.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • L. Euler

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:05 AM

I have a 2003 WR450 that I bought off of CL and had to put a lot of money into it to get it running right. My electric start did not work either when I bought it. After a new battery, starter motor, and 04 starter clutch kit I already had an extra $700 in it just to get the estart working. Next was a carb rebuild with an assortment of jets, a clutch cable, throttle cable, spark plug, light bulbs, remote fuel screw, air filter, front wheel bearings, and chain sprocket. Then the big stuff: piston and rings, valve seals, intake cam, shim kit, timing chain, front fork overhaul, and the specialty tools to get all that done.

I have to say that at this point the machine runs and rides like it just fell off the show room floor but it cost a pile of time and money.

• dgcars

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Some projects are fun even though they are time consuming and often costly. But this WR sounds like it has some big problems other than the broken clutch cable.
Or it could just need a new spark plug and the carb cleaned out to start.

+1. To pull the pilot jet & replace it...10min. Put in a new plug...5 min. Fit a new clutch cable...15min.
You think the owner could spend half an hour. :excuseme:

• T140Read

Posted January 03, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, decided to let that one go and wait for a better option that is at least running. I've got too many projects, don't need a new one. The whole reason for getting a modern dirt bike is so I have something that isn't older than I am and needs to be rebuilt for me to have fun.

Thanks for the replies!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.