New Yamaha WR450F m.2012?

65 replies to this topic
  • Fabry

Posted January 22, 2011 - 04:21 PM

And it will be street legal to! right?

• Bandit9

Posted January 22, 2011 - 05:54 PM

Also, that rear tire looks a little skimpy to me. Looks like it could be a 19".

Whatever the case, it sure is a bad azz looking photo.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 23, 2011 - 03:05 AM

Posted Image

Not a chance. Haven't you seen the article about bike sales continuing to decline?

• TWILES

Posted January 26, 2011 - 08:43 PM

When I sold my 05 I said the ONLY way I'd buy another is if it had YZ forks and FI. They put that one out and I'll pass my TRX450R on to the wife EXACTLY like I did in 05 and buy another WR for me.

That one looks cool but without BOTH of those things I'd like to see, I don't want it. I don't know why but I've never seen Yamaha and FCR work together and the current forks suck. One with a fueling system that worked right every time and a good/easily up-gradable suspension would be the shit and would give KTM a good run and the XC races.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:05 AM

When I sold my 05 I said the ONLY way I'd buy another is if it had YZ forks and FI. They put that one out and I'll pass my TRX450R on to the wife EXACTLY like I did in 05 and buy another WR for me.

That one looks cool but without BOTH of those things I'd like to see, I don't want it. I don't know why but I've never seen Yamaha and FCR work together and the current forks suck. One with a fueling system that worked right every time and a good/easily up-gradable suspension would be the shit and would give KTM a good run and the XC races.

I don't know what's wrong with yours, but the suspension on my 05 wr is fantastic! It took me a couple of different suspension tuners to figure things out.

But... getting yz forks on a wr is easily possible by scanning ebay. It will be a few hundred bucks, but that's not a bad amount to spend on what it obviously an expensive hobby for all of us.

regarding FCR... the carb doesn't bother me. It goes as fast (or faster) than I want when I twist the throttle. I did have to setup the carb though with a one size smaller leak jet and a AP pump/spring.

Lastly, I just got a ktm xcf... Its a bike with different characteristics than the yamaha. Its definitely more race oriented. I would probably be trying to compare the yz to the ktm xc models. The wr seems to be more like the exc model (or xcrw). But, the yamaha wr engine seems to have noticeably more low end grunt, probably because its a longer stroke engine. Definitely better when the speeds are slower.

I like both my ktm xcf and my yamaha wr. But they aren't the same.

• juddmaddix

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:38 AM

I have heard the rumor that Yamaha may also put out a WR 250 two stroke. I would love to see Yamaha and the other Japanese manufactures put the effort into off road dirt bikes that KTM does.

• Bandit9

Posted February 01, 2011 - 08:10 AM

As much as I would love a new 2 stroke WR, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Summit

Posted February 02, 2011 - 07:37 AM

A 2 stroke would be cool. The FI 450 WR doesn't interest me. I basically jetted my 05 once and haven't touched it since. If the 05 was trashed I'd get one but it's still in great shape and I bet there will be no weight savings either.

• ASEMA

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:19 AM

I hope Yamaha invest like KTM on off road, I'm wating for a better suspension and no restrictions.

• Bandit9

Posted February 05, 2011 - 06:15 AM

They won't.

As a business man, after the last 15 years or so, I'm still baffled at the big 4 Japanese OEM's just letting KTM take all that market share, for this long. They pretty much don't give crap about the off road segment. Not enough of us to really matter. Thats the only thing I can come up with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wondermuscle

Posted May 04, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I really wish this picture were real. But I doubt that Yamaha would give us what we want this year.

• MountainMax

Posted May 06, 2011 - 02:30 PM

Normally Yamaha comes out with the WR model similar to the year after we see it on the YZ model so I am very much thinking it will be out this year, if it's is. I am buying one, putting my WR back to stock and lower it down for an average size rider and sell it to upgrade, then I will be hunting for a larger fuel tank.........

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 23, 2011 - 07:18 AM

I was very skeptical of this photo when I first saw it. Now I'm not so sure. I don't know much about photoshop, but I'm guessing it is basically a collage of multiple overlays. I have looked at this photo (a high resolution one) a number of times now and there are some things that stand out to make me think it's legit:

1. What was the fuel tank "shopped" from? It is along the lines of the YZ tank, but taller. Definitely a small increase in capacity and not the YZ tank.

2. There is a small white plastic insert on the lower inside part of the headlight. That is not on the current headlight and may be needed to mount to an updated bottom clamp.

3. Speedo drive. Yes it's mechanical, but the YZ does not have one and this one routes the cable behind what looks like a YZ style fork guard. This right hand fork guard is not off the current WR, looks like the YZ unit, but flares at the top to feed in the cable.

4. Check out the shadows. Would someone take the time to photoshop shadows of a speedo cable against the fork of a YZ? How about the bottom rear part of the skid plate? There is a shadow there as well that is cast from the plate against the frame. There is nothing to cast a shadow on the YZ frame. The skid plate itself is a close copy of the 2011 WR skid, but it is not the same.

5. As mentioned before, the e-start in it's usual location is gone. Did it move to the front? Possible, there would be more room there now, but hard to tell if that is what it is.

6. If it has e-start, where'd the battery go? Not much room under that seat now with no airbox below it. The movement is to smaller, lighter, lithium. Could it now be behind the headlight? Would that explain the look of added "business" behind the headlight? Don't laugh, I have seen photos of an XR650L with a 450X battery mounted behind the headlight and you would not be able to tell from the side.

7. The front brake line looks funny to me the way it comes up to the perch. Just an observation.

8. That taillight is not from any WR. Look at it closely and then look at the WR light again. The current WR light has the bottom black plastic portion that come further rearward. This one is more tapered and does not do that.

9. Shroud graphics look nice, kind of like the '10 YZ, but with a little splash of white to keep it current with the '11/'12 YZ.

10. Is it easy to photoshop something behind something else? This is just a question, but the kickstand looks like someone did a nice job if not real.

Another article on Enduro360.com http://www.enduro360...2-yamaha-wr450/

• MountainMax

Posted August 23, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Shouldn't it be out now or soon if it was true? If it is, im buying one forsure, if not, i guess i will have to wait another year.......

• upnorthbacon

Posted August 23, 2011 - 12:21 PM

My delimma right now is whether I buy a new WR next year or YZ. I hate to spend nearly the same cash on a WR with older technology and no FI.

• orangeback

Posted August 30, 2011 - 01:26 AM

i was another one waiting for the release of this bike, but it never seamed to be coming , so i caved in and bought a new BMW g450x, but if it comes, ill certainly look hard at one as i loved my 05 wr and had a grate run from it

• YamaLink

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:13 AM

I'm hoping to be wrong but the 2012 WRF is BNG.

• STECKNINE

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:22 AM

That is my dream bike! If it is true then I will buy one. If not it will be the 12 KX 450..

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 30, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I would not bet my paycheck that this is the 2012, but I believe it is the real deal as for as the next WR goes (whenever that is). I do think it is interesting that it is almost Sept and there is not a 2012 on the website yet, which maybe adds more fuel to the fire. If it was just BNG only this year, wouldn't this already be up on the Yammy website? I'm crossing my fingers that there is some teeth to this and maybe an anouncement of a late release will turn into a good thing. Or maybe, the economy has done it in for the year and they will continue to sell 2011's for next year as they did a couple of years a go.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 30, 2011 - 08:53 PM

I would not bet my paycheck that this is the 2012, but I believe it is the real deal as for as the next WR goes (whenever that is). I do think it is interesting that it is almost Sept and there is not a 2012 on the website yet, which maybe adds more fuel to the fire. If it was just BNG only this year, wouldn't this already be up on the Yammy website? I'm crossing my fingers that there is some teeth to this and maybe an anouncement of a late release will turn into a good thing. Or maybe, the economy has done it in for the year and they will continue to sell 2011's for next year as they did a couple of years a go.

There is no new WR in Europe, which gets them months to years ahead, so, chances are low that there is a new WR this year.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.