yz400f cracked head

4 replies to this topic
  • tjr_84

Posted January 02, 2011 - 09:39 PM

when i got back for riding the other day i notice i have a cracked block, can i remove the head without pulling the motor?? and does a 426 head fit the 400?

• Birdy426

Posted January 02, 2011 - 11:01 PM

Yes and yes...but are you sure it's cracked? to a water jacket? to the combustion chamber?

Note that to run the 426 head, you will either have to use a 426 carb with internal hot start or drill the boss inthe intake tract and press in a nipple for a vacuum source for the external hot start on the 400.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawidad

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:08 AM

Or don't worry about having a hot start. But, bear in mind if you switch to a 426 head the cranks are different too.

• tjr_84

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:04 PM

the head is cracked from the water jacket to the out side i can see water weep out the crack by the head bolt

• matt4x4

Posted January 06, 2011 - 05:20 AM

switching to a 426 head has absolutely no impact on the crank. :smirk::bonk:B)
If the head is cracked on the outside you can likely have it welded by a competent welder, it'll save you much $$$ and time.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.