09 YZ450F STK exhuast

26 replies to this topic
  • stroker101

Posted January 02, 2011 - 04:19 PM

had some time to today to modify the stk muffler that was on my 450F.
i drilled out the rivets and removed the "perferated cones" from within the muffler. repacked, reassembled and resealed the muffler.

the muffler is definetly louder LOL. seems to rev a bit more freely. haven't ridden it yet to see if any low end power was obtained.

anyone have any info / experience they could share with a mod like this?

thx :excuseme:

• dvn

Posted January 02, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Go to post #22
http://www.thumperta...805#post9940805

• stroker101

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:24 PM

thx dvn. i didn't know about PMB. i think i'll add that to my exhaust. thx again

• yz250cranker

Posted January 03, 2011 - 07:27 AM

get a slip on instead they sell for what an endcap is worth on ebay and definately feel the difference more hp up top

• YamaLink

Posted January 03, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Definitely the PMB is a great option.

• dvn

Posted January 03, 2011 - 01:28 PM

get a slip on instead they sell for what an endcap is worth on ebay and definately feel the difference more hp up top

My PMB endcap and SS Megabomb header combined are about the same cost as a slip-on. I tried a full PC system and much prefer the performance of my set-up.

• stroker101

Posted January 03, 2011 - 02:28 PM

well, i just got back from the track and all i can say is this modified stock muffler is AWESOME!!! i wish i would have done this before i spent the $$$ on the LEXX Slip-on and the money used for the LEXX could have been spent on the PMB End-cap.

definetly more grunt down low. good for comimg out of tight corners, hitting the inside lines, hitting jumps right out of turns and it excellerates much faster

if ya have a stock muffler laying around and have about an hour or so to kill, try this mod. you won't be disappointed

• blakers213

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:03 AM

I also have an 09. What exactly did you remove (picture maybe) and did it make it too loud and did it hurt your top end power?

• stroker101

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:58 AM

the mod didnt make the exhaust note that loud, it is louder than stock however. it is probably as loud as any aftermarket muffler. i didn't feel any lose in the top end, still rips!

not sure how to post pics on here. maybe someone has a link to what the inside looks like.

this is how i did it...
the perferated cone thats "inside" of the perferated tube, the spot welds have to be drilled out in order for the cone to be removed.

the perferated cone attached to the end cap simply needs to be cut off. i left about 3/4" sticking out past the inside of the cap.
i used a cut-off wheel attached to a phneumatic cut-off tool

• blakers213

Posted January 06, 2011 - 09:51 PM

Did mine tonight, didn't fire it up to let the silicone dry. Wished someone would have told me I didn't have to remove the part attached to the midpipe. I think I could have just removed the endcap part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:29 PM

if your going to remove the cone from inside of the main perferated tubing, then all the rivets at the bottom section that is attached to the mid-pipe need to be drilled out also. i dont see how you could get to it if the muffler body wasn't out of the way

• blakers213

Posted January 08, 2011 - 06:13 PM

On mine the cone is attached to the end cap and nothing else. If I were to drill out the rivets for the end cap and just remove it, the inner cone would come out with the end cap and the outer cone would stay intact with the exhaust.

• dvn

Posted January 08, 2011 - 06:39 PM

On mine the cone is attached to the end cap and nothing else. If I were to drill out the rivets for the end cap and just remove it, the inner cone would come out with the end cap and the outer cone would stay intact with the exhaust.

He's referring to the secondary cone which is farther down in the core.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• majestic rider

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:09 PM

so looking at the photos to do the job of removing both cones,you have to drill out the rivets on both ends,and remove both ends.correct?

• stroker101

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:38 PM

so looking at the photos to do the job of removing both cones,you have to drill out the rivets on both ends,and remove both ends.correct?

si senior! and it will "BARK" afterwards lol

thx dvn for the pics

• blakers213

Posted January 10, 2011 - 05:40 AM

My bad. I didn't even see the smaller cone inside the tube. Excellent pics by the way. I think I will try it with just the larger cone removed first.

• majestic rider

Posted January 10, 2011 - 02:33 PM

hey blaker213,how did the mod work out for you?did you repack with stock packing?whats with the plactic bag over thepacking?same question for you stroker 101.

• blakers213

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:11 AM

Have not ridden it yet. I ride indoors about 2 hours away. Maybe going Friday or tuesday.

• stroker101

Posted January 11, 2011 - 08:01 PM

hey blaker213,how did the mod work out for you?did you repack with stock packing?whats with the plactic bag over thepacking?same question for you stroker 101.

plastic bag? are you reffering to how new packing is packaged? when i disassembled the stock exhaust from my 09 yz450f, the stock muffler packing didnt have a plastic outter wrap.
the DRD packing that i have is designed like a "pillow" with an fiberous outter shell.
and yes, i re-used the stock packing as it was in "like new" condition

• FiremanKay

Posted February 21, 2011 - 11:03 PM

What did you guys use to button the exhaust back up?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.