06 yz450f backfire Help!

8 replies to this topic
  • IamRooster151

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:02 PM

my 06 450f backfires quite a bit (more than usual) carb was clean and the valves are clean and has fresh gas, dont know what the problem is. help me identify this problem and ho to fix it

• curtis515s

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:38 PM

my 06 450f backfires quite a bit (more than usual) carb was clean and the valves are clean and has fresh gas, dont know what the problem is. help me identify this problem and ho to fix it

Your stock pilot jet is a 42. Replace it with a 45 and almost all of the popping will go away. Some run them even richer than that but a little decel popping is normal. The 45 pilot made my 06' much better. It's the best $ 5.00 you'll spend on your bike.

Edited by curtis515s, January 06, 2011 - 08:16 AM.

• rasta

Posted January 03, 2011 - 01:39 AM

did you check the valve clearance? maybe adjust the mixture screw as well, none of my yz's would back fire on decell unless valves were off or mixture screw was off setting

• Mike Martel

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:53 PM

jd jet kit did the trick on my yz450f.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ForsheeMS

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:28 PM

I think Curtis hit it. The pilot is a little lean, especially with the colder temps now. Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak anywhere as that will cause the popping too but the pilot is most likely your problem.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 05, 2011 - 11:46 PM

Some good advice. I did the same thing on mine. Richen the pilot!

• alliance52

Posted January 08, 2011 - 12:43 AM

I had a truck with a straight 6 motor on LPG it use to backfire really bad if the timing was retarded. Just a thought hope this helps.

• racertodd

Posted January 08, 2011 - 03:05 AM

I had some backfire issues with my 06 yz250f as it ended up the hotstart cable didnt have enought slack in it. It wouldnt close all the way. Maybe this is the problem could be not enought slack or possibly not moving free and maybe the hot start is opened a little. Just a thought hope you get it figure out

• 03cr125r

Posted April 02, 2011 - 04:03 PM

im wondering if a lean pilot would cause it to not idle

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.