Mixing Marvel Mystery Oil w/ 2 Stroke Gas?

19 replies to this topic
  • dpage

Posted January 02, 2011 - 12:33 PM

So I have started a restoration project and my friend told me to put a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gearbox because it has been years since the bike was run and this "on top of the oil" will "clean er out real good" so i bought a 32oz bottle and added some...I also put a tbl.spoon in the spark plug hole and rotated the engine to coat the pistion...i was told this would help if the rings were sticking...i dont know. So now i have been running MMO in my Jeep Warngler and no more ticking fule valves so now i want to know if anyone put MMO in there 2 stroke mixed gas??? I was also thinking of adding some w/ the antifreze...just a little;) Thanks for the help DP

• greenguy500

Posted January 02, 2011 - 12:42 PM

I wouldn't do it in either of those applications. MMO works to free sticking parts,(rings, etc.), and it will help free some sticking lifters in some instances, but mixing it with 2-stroke oil has no advantages, and it may screw up your mix, especially with synthetic-based 2-stroke oil. Mixing oil with anti-freeze is probably not in your best interest also, although I have no solid facts to back that up.

• choppertown

Posted January 02, 2011 - 12:44 PM

do you wash your clothes with this stuff and maybe your dishes?

• dpage

Posted January 02, 2011 - 12:57 PM

do you wash your clothes with this stuff and maybe your dishes?

Well sure I do, dosen't everyone?

• downonmonday

Posted January 02, 2011 - 01:26 PM

I wouldn't mix it with the fuel. MMO is some good stuff though for vehicles.

• dpage

Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:29 PM

I wouldn't mix it with the fuel. MMO is some good stuff though for vehicles.

whats your opinion about adding some to the gearbox/trans ??? that should be ok right???

• downonmonday

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:45 PM

I don't know about MMO with the clutch? It may make it slip really bad or may not do anything?

• Dirtdigger04

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I use it all the time with my 2 stroke bikes, especially after a while of not using them. It seems to clean everything out in the engine. It can also be used as a stabilizer too. It's good stuff, and i never had a problem with it.

• downonmonday

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:18 PM

I use it all the time with my 2 stroke bikes, especially after a while of not using them. It seems to clean everything out in the engine. It can also be used as a stabilizer too. It's good stuff, and i never had a problem with it.

You use it in the fuel? I'd probably doesn't harm anything.

• cdf450

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:25 PM

MMO is some good stuff though for vehicles.

can you expand on this?? I want my truck engine to last as long as possible!

• Chokey

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Running MMO through the engine will tend to cause a lot of glaze to build up on the bore surface.

• downonmonday

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:56 PM

It is just a lubricant and cleaner. I put almost 200,000 miles on my GMC Sonoma and I used MMO periodically. I sold the truck with the engine still kicking strong, but the tranny took a shit on me. :busted:
I can't say my engine lasted due to MMO and periodic fluid changes, but MMO didn't hurt it any that is for sure. :excuseme:
I now use MMO in my Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. :busted:

• downonmonday

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Running MMO through the engine will tend to cause a lot of glaze to build up on the bore surface.

Are you talking small bore engines or all engines in general?

• Chokey

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Are you talking small bore engines or all engines in general?

I'm talking about mixing it with the pre-mix in a two-stroke. I have no experience with it in automotive applications other than as an assembly lube.

• GaryHarris

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:05 PM

RCer's use MMO as an after run oil in both 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

• dpage

Posted January 02, 2011 - 11:37 PM

I have started to run 4oz of MMO to 10 gal of gas in my 1997 Jeep Wrangler and i have no more fule valve tick!!! So now Im a "dyed in the wool" MMO fan for life!!! I keep a extra bottle in the Jeep just so i have a back up....it's also good for washing cloathing and dishes :excuseme:

• honda88

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:34 AM

I had just joined a Ram forum and this exact issue was discussed. A guy claimed he put in a full quart to a tank of gas and got better millage. I did some research with no real clear answer. Some say they use transmission fluid the same way MMO. And some people think it will glaze over some parts. Years ago I used a Product called ZMAX and swore it worked. The problem is some of these products make such rediculous claims its hard to believe. In reality gas already has a lubricant and well if your changing your oil every 5 hours like most people I do 15 you dont need any additive.if it gives you piece of mind putting it in and it will not harm anything just do it.

• Slackkinhard

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:06 AM

From what I understand, it was developed as a 'cleaner' for carbs. A solvent for small passages that didn't etch the brass or aluminum. Turns out when it got in the gas, it provided better ring seal in some applications.

IMHO, if your motor is tight...you won't see any improvements. If your ring seal is 'aging', you may see improvement.

Just my $.02

• skisnh

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:18 AM

Not to turn this thread into a this vs that contest...I use seafoam in my fuel in my bike as a stabilizer. It also reduces detonation from sub par gas. In my truck I use it in the fuel and in the crank case. In the crank case I put it in about 100 miles B4 an oil change to clean things up a bit. I also use it in my intake one a year to remove any carbon deposits.

Might be snake oil...but I believe there is benefit

• dpage

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:48 AM

I will do the guess work and add 2 tablespoons to 2 gal of mixed 2 cycle gas and run it through the bike and see what heppens... I just need to get the bike running first + it will do some good for that 20+ year old carb!!! :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

team maico! by NCSteve

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Rm 125 vs Rm 250 2 stroke by 2 stroke life

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 RMZ450 Burning Engine Oil by Connor Corrigan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   RM-Z 450
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

oil seals 1990 cr250 wont seat by allenbstoney

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  68 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.