WR250 or WR450

10 replies to this topic
  • 74dirtdown

Posted January 01, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Now I know I can't go asking what bike is better but I am going to go ahead anyway.

I currently have a WR450 and each time I go out and ride I hear from everyone I am riding with that I would enjoy myself a lot more in our area with a 250. The area's are all fairly tight single track with some places to really get on the gas. Steep hills, ditches, logs and what most would consider on the upper side of intermediate to advanced.

They always say I can try their 250's but I am not sure I really want to know what that bike is like since I am not in the time frame to purchase another bike. Sort of like not wanting to know if the grass is greener on the other side.

This 450 is my first bike in 20 plus years so my skill level is not super high. I hold my own and can get through everything, but I definately feel like I am riding a tank through the woods.

So for all the people on here that have riding experience and 450 experience, what do you think? I am 38, 5' 11", 172.

Thanks

• Slick_Nick

Posted January 01, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Even at that, the WR250 is still not a light bike, so I don't know if it's really worthwhile to make the switch if you're sticking with a WR.

• 74dirtdown

Posted January 01, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Okay, well lets say a KTM 250 then or something other then the wr's.

• pigs

Posted January 01, 2011 - 08:09 PM

a 250 two stroke would be good a 250f is very good in the tight stuff its what i ride a 2008 kx250f but it suffers in the wide open.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'm a WR450F owner and I rode a WR250F a couple of years ago.
Just 10 minutes on the bike was enough to convince me that I had definately made the right decision buying the bigger machine!
It felt like I was on an XR80 or something!

People claim that the 250 is so much better in the tight stuff being "so much lighter". But in reality that 5 kgs difference is negligible on these bikes. There is only around 6% difference in weight!

Ok, if the difference were 10-15% I reckon I'd wear it and consider a 250, but seriously, as if I'm going to notice a tiny difference like 5kgs!

(I'm 46, 5'7" and 170lbs)

Stick to your 450 74dirtdown! They are a lot more fun to ride. You can't wind the throttle on on a 250 and have the front end lift without touching the clutch lever!

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dgcars

Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:53 PM

I moved fro a 450 to the 250 last year....tight trails...hills....single track. Done all the mods + pipe.....no regrets. It might only be a few kg but there is a big difference. Rode a 450 2 months ago in trailblazers (spain) open fast trails....awesome

• beezer

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:38 PM

I have both and my 250 gets ridden alot more.

On single track it's much easier to ride.

My 450 is better on the faster stuff.

The stock 250 is the worlds slowest dirtbike you have to slip the clutch to get over a cigarette butt. So figure on dumping a few bucks into it to get it rideable.

• 74dirtdown

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. Right now I am just in that moment of trying to figure out if it's the bike or my lack of skill. Like I said, I can make it through just about everything, but I can't get out and ride it more then twice a month, sometimes once a month so it is a constant battle between taking two steps forward and one step back with regard to my comfort level.

I guess as long as I keep riding the comfort level and skill will be forced to improve.

I am sure I will become one of those riders that ends up having a 450 and a 250 eventually and that actually doesn't sound all that bad. The new KTM 250 EXF-W has a weight without fuel of 101.6 kg (223.98 lbs), that even just sounds super light.

Thanks

• JM450

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:43 PM

I had been riding KTM 2 strokes for 8 years and was looking at the WRs for a long time. I went back and forth for awhile between the 250 or 450. Most of the people, dealers included ,told me that after riding a 250 2 stroke I would be sorry if I bought the wr 250. I think the 450 has a killer motor except for the engine braking and I'm getting used to that. All bikes are a compromise. I used to ride enduros and for those kinds of trails specifically , there are better bikes, but for an all around fun bike in various types of terrain I don't think you can beat the 450. It chugs up and over anything and will flat out haul the mail when needed. But there are plenty of fast 250's out there they just have to work harder.

• YamaLink

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:01 PM

+1 million!

I had been riding KTM 2 strokes for 8 years and was looking at the WRs for a long time. I went back and forth for awhile between the 250 or 450. Most of the people, dealers included ,told me that after riding a 250 2 stroke I would be sorry if I bought the wr 250. I think the 450 has a killer motor except for the engine braking and I'm getting used to that. All bikes are a compromise. I used to ride enduros and for those kinds of trails specifically , there are better bikes, but for an all around fun bike in various types of terrain I don't think you can beat the 450. It chugs up and over anything and will flat out haul the mail when needed. But there are plenty of fast 250's out there they just have to work harder.

• the_smoo

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:14 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=473960

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.