smoke pouring out

10 replies to this topic
  • proudy29

Posted January 01, 2011 - 12:40 AM

hi guys i have a yz450f 2006 and it has around 75 hours on it,it had new piston and rings put in it not long before i brought problem is that i went for a ride and when i turned back around i noticed heaps of smoke pouring out of the exhaust on closer inspection i noticed the oil was coming out of the over flow hoses from under the bike and it covered the back tyre and sprocket in oil.would anyone no what went wrong with the bike.thanks in advance

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Sounds like damage to the rings/cylinder/piston. Have a leak down test done to verify that.

• proudy29

Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:22 PM

so what does a leak down test involve.and thank you

• dgcars

Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:46 PM

Have you overfilled the engine with oil......check it

• Blackwoodz

Posted January 02, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Also check for a pinched vent hose. If the vent hose pinches off it will build crank pressure and make it push oil out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:29 PM

A leak down test uses compressed air to test the sealing of the rings and valves.

Wouldn't hurt to review the oil change/fill procedure either:

• proudy29

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:21 PM

thanks guys for all your advice.the guy that i got the bike of was very up to date with hes services and oil changes.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2011 - 06:26 AM

It's not your oil change schedule that's in question, it's the procedure. You can overfill an '06 by almost double and it won't show that on the dip stick because there's no room in the oil reservoir for the excess. If you did not drain from both drain plugs, and/or if you used more than 1 liter of oil, it's overfilled. A simple thing, worth looking into.

• yz250cranker

Posted January 03, 2011 - 07:25 AM

i say complete rebuild one more time to make it right open it up fix it and assemble it again:thumbsup:

• dgcars

Posted January 03, 2011 - 07:44 AM

i say complete rebuild one more time to make it right open it up fix it and assemble it again:thumbsup:

But why........:excuseme:

• proudy29

Posted January 03, 2011 - 02:53 PM

hi guys i forgot to say that ive only done about 3 hours of riding on this 450 before the smoke started pouring out of the exhaust.the guy that owned it before me loved the bike that much that he sent me a text 2 weeks after i got the bike of him to let me no that it would need an oil change at a certain ammount of hours.the reasons why i got the bike was that it was a one owner bike from knew and that geoff ballard was the guy who serviced the bike when it needed to be serviced.any1 no who he was back in the day.the bike will be getting pulled down sometime this week so i will keep you guys posted

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.