No spark on 426

8 replies to this topic
  • RichFZR-WR

Posted December 31, 2010 - 03:22 PM

Hi guys used the search and didn't really answer my question so i thought i'd ask.
My stock wr 426 02 has no spark.
Was meeting up with the guys for a ride, had the engine running for like 20 seconds pushed the choke in and the engine stopped.
So i tryed to restart it, it wouldn't start after a couple of minutes, so i got on the phone to make my apoloygies and pulled the plug.
No spark, so i changed the plug, new plug no spark.
Checked the plug with a multimeter and thats working fine.
Got the manual out and went through every connection with multimeter and they all check out.
While turning the engine over with the lights on there isn't even a flicker on the lights so i'm thinking stator/magneto?
Basically looking for some input on my next move.
Any input will be greatfully received, Cheers Rich.

• byggd

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:53 AM

It seems if the battery has enough charge to run the lights brightly there s/b enough charge to power the coil even if the stator/magneto went bad. Maybe a bad coil or lead from the coil to the plug?

• RichFZR-WR

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:01 PM

Probably didn't write that as best as i could.
With the light switch in the on postion i don't even get a flicker on them.
This bike has no battery, its a kicker only.
Every connection has been checked as the manual fault diagnostics check list.
Gone over it twice with a multimeter just to make sure that i haven't missed something.
Thats why i'm thinking something like either the stator or cdi unit.
Gone through the 20 something pages of the search button with no spark and i keeps coming up with stator replacement because every thing else works.

• X-Racer

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:14 PM

The stator is usually pretty reliable and easy to check.

Unfortunately, due to cost, I'd bet on the CDI where their failures are immediate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichFZR-WR

Posted January 03, 2011 - 03:26 AM

Can the stator be checked inside the case with out removing the rotor? I don't have the rotor removal tool.
How can i check a cdi out for a fault. Is there a way to check it?
I think that which ever part it is it aint going to be cheap.:excuseme:

• Kawidad

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:05 AM

I would think you could check the stator by unplugging the harness under the gas tank. IIRC, there are three harnesses. Check with a voltmeter the wires coming directly from the stator to the regulator. Have someone kick it over without a spark plug while you hold a voltmeter (on AC) to the positive output leads. You should see the meter move. This should help isolate the issue.

• WR_Dave

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Check this short thread, I had the same problem and it did turn out to be the CDI. http://www.thumperta...4021&highlight= Good Luck -- WR Dave

• ncampion

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:55 AM

CDI is the best bet if you have rulled out coil, plug/wire and connectors. They are available on ebay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

• X-Racer

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Wow... It's not even my problem and I'm thankful.

What a wonderful bunch of guys.

I love you man. * looking for their Bud Lights *

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.