2000 dodge ram water pump replacement

15 replies to this topic
  • Etown

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:55 PM

Looking for any tips from the collective knowledge of TT since i know there are some good mechanics here. The water pump went out on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 so i am now replacing it.

Parts list:
New water pump
Thermostat
Thermostat Gasket
Silicone
Serpentine belt looked cracked so i am also replacing that
3 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze/water

Firestone wanted 700 plus dollars to do it!

I did a radiator flush out about 3 years ago and the fluid still looked pretty good before the water pump went so i am not sure if i am going to do intense flush out. Also it has been leaking for the past 6 months so all the fluid in there is pretty fresh since i have been refilling it (as you can tell i am pretty good with maintenance :excuseme:)

I found a few websites, one was dodge forum on how to replace the water pump but it didnt have any pictures.

Any tips or specific links would be great!

• brad the best

Posted December 31, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Get a service manual you can take them out at the library for free

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 31, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Inspect any idler or belt tensioner pulleys for wobble, play, squeakiness, etc and replace them while you're in there.

What are you using the silicone for? I hope not on the gasket, just clean up the surfaces and put the gasket in there.

This is a 10 year old truck, and the water pump failed because the rubber seal leaked....are you going to replace the hoses while you're in there? I would.

I don't advise mixing your antifreeze with tap water, get distilled water. Tap water can contain minerals, contaminants, flouride, etc. Distilled contains water.

• Etown

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:05 PM

Inspect any idler or belt tensioner pulleys for wobble, play, squeakiness, etc and replace them while you're in there.

What are you using the silicone for? I hope not on the gasket, just clean up the surfaces and put the gasket in there.

This is a 10 year old truck, and the water pump failed because the rubber seal leaked....are you going to replace the hoses while you're in there? I would.

I don't advise mixing your antifreeze with tap water, get distilled water. Tap water can contain minerals, contaminants, flouride, etc. Distilled contains water.

thanks for the tips, I havent worked on cars very much so good learning experience. i will inspect and replace the pulleys as necessary. I was told to put a little silcone on the gasket by something i read online which i found a little odd since when i work on my dirt bike i just use new gaskets with nothing else. The old gasket on there right now is a real pain to get all cleaned off.

Should i use some kind of locktite on the water pump bolts?

The lower radiator hose seems to be the only one that would be easily replaced, i will look to see if i can get at the other hoses tomorrow.

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:15 PM

thanks for the tips, I havent worked on cars very much so good learning experience. i will inspect and replace the pulleys as necessary. I was told to put a little silcone on the gasket by something i read online which i found a little odd since when i work on my dirt bike i just use new gaskets with nothing else. The old gasket on there right now is a real pain to get all cleaned off.

Should i use some kind of locktite on the water pump bolts?

The lower radiator hose seems to be the only one that would be easily replaced, i will look to see if i can get at the other hoses tomorrow.

No need for the loctite. Use a scotch brite pad from the kitchen sink to remove that old gasket, it works wonders.

No need for the silicone, it just makes a mess. Rule of thumb is use either silicone or a gasket, don't use both.

• Etown

Posted January 01, 2011 - 01:33 PM

No need for the loctite. Use a scotch brite pad from the kitchen sink to remove that old gasket, it works wonders.

No need for the silicone, it just makes a mess. Rule of thumb is use either silicone or a gasket, don't use both.

thanks for the tips chickenhauler:thumbsup:

• Etown

Posted January 01, 2011 - 11:49 PM

well i got everything back together and then was filling up the radiator only to hear water to start to pour on the floor.

turns out the leak isn't coming from the water pump. i had firestone do a diagnostic test to see where the leak was coming from since I was so close to their shop when the truck started to overheat. they told me i needed a new water pump and so i replaced it:banghead:, i guess its my fault i took their word. i doubt they even did a test. they also tried to sell me a new serpentine belt and a whole list of crap that i didnt need. i just replaced the serpentine belt 10,000 miles ago. i inspected the belt and it looks totally fine.

i didnt end up replacing the thermostat so i am going to look at this next (i assume its in some kinda of housing with a gasket). The leak starts once the radiator is full, so the leak is higher than water pump because the water level in radiator seems to be higher than the water pump when the leak starts. also coolant is pouring down the whole engine starting above the water pump is also a good sign haha.

well i am going to start on it again tomorrow. at least i have a new water pump:thumbsup:

• txmxer

Posted January 02, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Wow you too huh? The water pump on my 01 dodge ram with the 5.9L v8 went out last week. Local mechanic charged $250 for part and labor....700!?!?! Thats crazy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Etown

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:59 PM

Wow you too huh? The water pump on my 01 dodge ram with the 5.9L v8 went out last week. Local mechanic charged $250 for part and labor....700!?!?! Thats crazy.

thats a pretty good deal! Firestone wanted 700 for thermostat, water pump, and radiator flush. for just the water pump they wanted 400 or something.

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:50 PM

thats a pretty good deal! Firestone wanted 700 for thermostat, water pump, and radiator flush. for just the water pump they wanted 400 or something.

They're marking the parts WAY up, that's how they make their money.

• ubu

Posted January 05, 2011 - 08:04 AM

well i got everything back together and then was filling up the radiator only to hear water to start to pour on the floor.

turns out the leak isn't coming from the water pump. i had firestone do a diagnostic test to see where the leak was coming from since I was so close to their shop when the truck started to overheat. they told me i needed a new water pump and so i replaced it:banghead:, i guess its my fault i took their word. i doubt they even did a test. they also tried to sell me a new serpentine belt and a whole list of crap that i didnt need. i just replaced the serpentine belt 10,000 miles ago. i inspected the belt and it looks totally fine.

i didnt end up replacing the thermostat so i am going to look at this next (i assume its in some kinda of housing with a gasket). The leak starts once the radiator is full, so the leak is higher than water pump because the water level in radiator seems to be higher than the water pump when the leak starts. also coolant is pouring down the whole engine starting above the water pump is also a good sign haha.

well i am going to start on it again tomorrow. at least i have a new water pump:thumbsup:

The bolts for the water pump go through the timing cover on this engine, right? Could be the timing cover was/is loose and taking the pump off disrupted that gasket. Might as well do the intake, too:banana:

Lets hope it's the t-stat:lol:

• Etown

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:47 PM

The bolts for the water pump go through the timing cover on this engine, right? Could be the timing cover was/is loose and taking the pump off disrupted that gasket. Might as well do the intake, too:banana:

Lets hope it's the t-stat:lol:

now you're starting to scare me :smirk:

i will find out this weekend when i get a chance to work on it... luckily my dad just bought a new car so i am using his old civic for the week and the gas mileage is amazing. it feels weird having everyone's headlights right in your rear view mirror though.

• ubu

Posted January 06, 2011 - 04:27 PM

now you're starting to scare me B)

i will find out this weekend when i get a chance to work on it... luckily my dad just bought a new car so i am using his old civic for the week and the gas mileage is amazing. it feels weird having everyone's headlights right in your rear view mirror though.

Good luck.
Don't feel bad, though; I'm replacing a heater core in a Land Rover this weekend. Burried under the center of the dash against the firewall.:smirk:

• Etown

Posted January 06, 2011 - 06:04 PM

Good luck.
Don't feel bad, though; I'm replacing a heater core in a Land Rover this weekend. Burried under the center of the dash against the firewall.:smirk:

good luck to you as well, sounds fun.

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:31 AM

Good luck.

At least it's not an early 90's Merc Cougar with the floor shift console. Had to remove everything from the seatbelts to the windshield.

• Etown

Posted January 09, 2011 - 10:33 AM

its fixed! split hose that i couldnt see that was under the mounting bracket for the alternator and compressor. also the gasket for the thermostat housing was shot. feels good to have it fixed. so now i have a new water pump, thermostat and some new hoses.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.