Cylinder head without cam caps

22 replies to this topic
  • tpastrana

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:30 AM

So i bought a 05 head but the seller didnt sell the head with the cam cap/retainer. I think i recall that the cam caps aren't interchangeable, that they are machined to that head. What are my options can i machine my old cam caps to fit my new head? I already tried to install the old caps, and the cams dont move freely.

All help is appreciated.

• tpastrana

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:32 AM

I may be able to get the original caps back.

• ForsheeMS

Posted December 30, 2010 - 12:45 PM

The head and the cam caps are matched from the factory. In your case it might be possible to shave a little off of the mating surfaces of the head and the cam caps and then line bore them to true them up providing they aren't too bad out of whack to begin with. Not something you want to do unless you absolutely have to.

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2010 - 01:02 PM

When the cam caps are damaged, the head is usually repairable by "decking and line boring" the mating surfaces and cap/head assembly. There should be no reason you could not do that with a set of caps from one head bolted to another. The ideal, of course would be to try to recover the original caps so that there will be room for any future repairs that might become necessary.

• tpastrana

Posted December 30, 2010 - 01:31 PM

I have a local reputable machine shop should i just take it to them and tell them what? :excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2010 - 01:37 PM

Take it to them and tell them the caps came from a different engine. They should be able to tell you immediately whether they can correct it or not. They will need both cams and the clearance specifications from the manual.

• tpastrana

Posted January 05, 2011 - 03:04 PM

So i found a set of good caps what would be a fair price for them? What i got from reading above is that if you can get another set instead of machining them your better off correct?

• cowboyona426

Posted January 05, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Even with another set you'll probably have to have them machined to work correctly. I'd just use the ones you have.

• evil250f

Posted January 05, 2011 - 03:30 PM

any good machine shop should be able to line bore them to work

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2011 - 03:55 PM

You CANNOT EVER (that's NEVER) use a set of caps from one head on a different head without having them line bored.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dgcars

Posted January 05, 2011 - 04:07 PM

So i bought a 05 head but the seller didnt sell the head with the cam cap/retainer.............

Maybe not such a good idea to start with..........:excuseme:

• Geoffit

Posted January 06, 2011 - 09:48 AM

if you find a shop to fit the caps ( not all can do this BEWARE) expect to pay at least
$200

• tpastrana

Posted January 06, 2011 - 11:42 AM

When the cam caps are damaged, the head is usually repairable by "decking and line boring" the mating surfaces and cap/head assembly. There should be no reason you could not do that with a set of caps from one head bolted to another. The ideal, of course would be to try to recover the original caps so that there will be room for any future repairs that might become necessary.

Thats what confused me?? Gray your smart, layman's terms could be helpful :smirk:

So what clearances do they need? Just camshaft to cap clearance?

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thats what confused me?? Gray your smart, layman's terms could be helpful :smirk:

So what clearances do they need? Just camshaft to cap clearance?

I expect you to be able to read and comprehend English. B)

Yes, they need the cams so they can measure the diameters of the shafts. Then they need the camshaft to head clearances from the manual so they can cut the right sized bores.

• dgcars

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:13 PM

I expect you to be able to read and comprehend English. :busted:

Yes, they need the cams so they can measure the diameters of the shafts. Then they need the camshaft to head clearances from the manual so they can cut the right sized bores.

You're going to upset someone......mean mean Mr. Mod B)
:smirk:

• tpastrana

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:17 AM

I just read it over again for the 20th time i get it now, there needs to be proper room. If i ever needed to replace the cams there would be enough room. $200 wow that sucks that's half the price of the head :'( I'm going to go into "today" and see what they can do.

• tpastrana

Posted January 07, 2011 - 12:18 AM

Maybe i just ask to many questions, it would suck to rebuild everything and destroy it...that would blow.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2011 - 07:33 AM

What I meant by the comment regarding future repairs is this:

One of the first steps in redoing the line bore of the cams is to cut a thin slice off the head where the caps go, and a similar slice off the mating surfaces of the caps. The "new" cam bore is then centered on the joint between cap and head, the same as it originally was, and is once again perfectly round when the cap is bolted on.

However, because the head was surfaced slightly, the camshaft itself has been moved down in the head. Not a lot, when it's done right, but down nevertheless. Like everything else, there is a limit to how far you can lower the cam before you start having trouble adjusting the valves or keeping the cam chain tight, so it's a good idea to avoid redoing the line bore more than once.

Thus, having the original caps and not having to do the machine work would not only save money, it will leave room to fix the head in the future if it ever seizes the cams or something.

• tpastrana

Posted January 07, 2011 - 10:41 AM

Crystal clear thanks man.

• tpastrana

Posted January 08, 2011 - 12:51 AM

Took it to the shop today they knew exactly what I needed, and very helpful should cost around $130

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.