yz426 vin numbers??

35 replies to this topic
  • Blackwoodz

Posted December 31, 2010 - 10:06 AM

For the time being, though, I can confirm that I have the same number format as the original poster, so the answer is probably something to do with a missing VIN, or strange import route rather than this being a fake number.

I have had warranty replacement frames sent to me with no numbers what so ever.
I agree with you...the numbers are way too precisely stamped to be done by a two bit thief.

• grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2010 - 11:58 AM

I think you underestimate the artistic abilities of some thieves. One of the places I worked over the years was a custom fab shop at which a large segment of the clientele were Harley-Davidson chopper types. We used to get regular visits from different LE agencies who would come around to look at the customers' bikes. Some of the "artwork" they found in the form of forged VIN/engine numbers was really quite impressive.

The frame replacement angle is a legitimate possibility, too. In California, there is a DMV process for restamping the new frame, though. That process probably varies a great deal from one jurisdiction to another.

• pembell

Posted December 31, 2010 - 12:34 PM

I think you underestimate the artistic abilities of some thieves. One of the places I worked over the years was a custom fab shop at which a large segment of the clientele were Harley-Davidson chopper types. We used to get regular visits from different LE agencies who would come around to look at the customers' bikes. Some of the "artwork" they found in the form of forged VIN/engine numbers was really quite impressive.

I agree - there are some damned good forgers out there, but that was my earlier point, that you make a forgery look like an original!

I'm back on 4th Jan, so will have another look at mine and will call Yamaha for a check on what the number means.

• YZEtc

Posted December 31, 2010 - 01:35 PM

my frame number which looks to be the same as engine number (which i cant see fully) reads *CJ01C-016722* which is only 12 long

I wouldn't get too excited.
The YZ came from Whales, I assume.
Isn't that part of the UK?

Does the UK have a different VIN standard for motorcycles sold for off-road use than the 17-digit ones we get here in the USA?

The number stamped in that frame looks like what Yamaha USA would call the "primary ID".
Within the 17-digit VIN of a YZ sold in the USA, there are 11 digits (not counting the dash) that Yamaha USA and USA Yamaha dealers will use to identify a bike without having to write the whole VIN, such as when warranty registering the unit with Yamaha USA.

So, using the original poster's VIN:

CJ01C = Yamaha code that means YZ-426F
016722 = The number of the particular unit off the assembly line.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's all a UK YZ VIN contains.

• pembell

Posted December 31, 2010 - 01:56 PM

my frame number which looks to be the same as engine number (which i cant see fully) reads *CJ01C-016722* which is only 12 long

I wouldn't get too excited.
The YZ came from Whales, I assume.
Isn't that part of the UK?

Does the UK have a different VIN standard for motorcycles sold for off-road use than the 17-digit ones we get here in the USA?

The number stamped in that frame looks like what Yamaha USA would call the "primary ID".
Within the 17-digit VIN of a YZ sold in the USA, there are 11 digits (not counting the dash) that Yamaha USA and USA Yamaha dealers will use to identify a bike without having to write the whole VIN, such as when warranty registering the unit with Yamaha USA.

So, using the original poster's VIN:

CJ01C = Yamaha code that means YZ-426F
016722 = The number of the particular unit off the assembly line.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's all a UK YZ VIN contains.

I'm betting the number is exactly what you describe, but the fly in the ointment is that the UK does use the same VIN system as the US.

That's why I reckon our bikes have somehow bypassed the VIN system.

Ooooh, it's like Miss Marple or something.

• pennswoodsed

Posted December 31, 2010 - 03:20 PM

i think it's a wmi a world mfg.'s ident # ,per off road vehicles not getting a 17 digit vin since about 2002 ,swag. Verify with authorities,cya.
Regards,Ed
ps pic looks machine stamped and is a yz426 worth all the grief to do it ?

• grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2010 - 03:26 PM

I'm betting the number is exactly what you describe, but the fly in the ointment is that the UK does use the same VIN system as the US.(?)

If you look at the page at Wiki that I linked to, it addresses exactly that question: The VIN system in current use was devised by the ISO. The European Union and the North American countries use a slightly different variation of it, but they use the same system in the US and the EU, and both that system and the ISO system use 17 characters.

• pembell

Posted December 31, 2010 - 05:59 PM

If you look at the page at Wiki that I linked to, it addresses exactly that question: The VIN system in current use was devised by the ISO. The European Union and the North American countries use a slightly different variation of it, but they use the same system in the US and the EU, and both that system and the ISO system use 17 characters.

Sorry Gray - it must just be the way I speak/write - but I'm agreeing with you!

What I meant was, we do use essentially the same structure (ISO as you pointed out and linked to).

I was simply trying to say that we still haven't explained what the number actually is (on the assumption it is not a faked VIN).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grooveongreg

Posted December 31, 2010 - 11:30 PM

From what I can see the UK uses 17 digits. I can't find any other information that suggests otherwise. I'm glad to hear there maybe another explanation tho. If someone can produce a stamp that looks that good don't see why they wd make it short intentionally. Be interesting to hear what yamaha say. That's what the shop owner suggested to pit my mind at rest.

• pembell

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Ok, back in sunny Saudi - here's mine:

Posted Image

And the engine number:

Posted Image

Any news from Yamaha, grooveongreg?

• grooveongreg

Posted January 05, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Cheers for that pembell looks the same as mine but without the stars!!

spoke to yamaha technical customer services today and even before he put the number in the computer he knew it was a yz426!

He said competiton machines arnt stamped with a vin number as they dont have to adhere to EU standards.

They are simply stamped with model and fatory! which is what someone else mentioned i think!

he also said this is world wide!

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2011 - 08:01 AM

Well, both my "competition machines" here, and the several that have gone before, are stamped with the full 17 digits. Clearly not a world-wide convention, but I'm glad you got it sorted out.

• grooveongreg

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:48 AM

Is strange that there are more competiton machines with 17 digits!! they must be intended for road use or to be registered! anyway its legit :-)

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2011 - 11:24 AM

Is strange that there are more competiton machines with 17 digits!! they must be intended for road use or to be registered!

They are specifically prohibited from being used on the road in most states, but most also do require a title (certificate of ownership) and some form of registration.

• pembell

Posted January 05, 2011 - 01:32 PM

Cheers for that pembell looks the same as mine but without the stars!!

spoke to yamaha technical customer services today and even before he put the number in the computer he knew it was a yz426!

He said competiton machines arnt stamped with a vin number as they dont have to adhere to EU standards.

They are simply stamped with model and fatory! which is what someone else mentioned i think!

he also said this is world wide!

Great news, grooveongreg. And a little bit more knowledge added to the group consciousness!

Now you have peace of mind, get out there and enjoy it!

Cheers,
Paul

• grooveongreg

Posted January 05, 2011 - 01:39 PM

ye exactly!! cheers for the help mate,, have to be honest i wasnt far off giving it back to the shop! such a relief knowing i havent just spunked $$$

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.