Gibbs yamahas

12 replies to this topic
  • Ron Hamp

Posted December 29, 2010 - 07:01 AM

On the J&E piston web sight theres a section day @ the dyno showing Gibbs running there 450 the operator covered up the gauges but left the torque gauge uncovered long enough to calculate hp from known rpm peaks i did the calculations and would have thought that they would make a better power and spread.

• HRC

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Sorry Ron, but...

...if you use dot in your sentences so they would be so much easier to read !

Just a tips.

Good info though !:excuseme:

• tech24

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:48 AM

Guess they're not using TUF racing engines :excuseme: I also assume you're not going to share your calculations.

• matts06yzf

Posted December 30, 2010 - 07:11 AM

Im sure they can do whatever they want to the power. I know guys that make sx mains and all the nats that DO NOT want a 60 hp 450. It makes them slower. Remeber these guys are NOT drag racing.

• Markopolo400

Posted December 30, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Im sure they can do whatever they want to the power. I know guys that make sx mains and all the nats that DO NOT want a 60 hp 450. It makes them slower. Remeber these guys are NOT drag racing.

Exactly.

• matts06yzf

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:21 AM

Exactly.

Its weird how so many different guys like there bikes. Some want alot of power for starts some dont. I had a very close friend of mine who raced all 450 sx last year and 250 stuff before along with nats live with me for 6 months and train. He weighs around 155bs a stock 450 was alot of bike for him even at his level. I watched as tons of mapping changes, motor work etc was done to adjust power differently. Starts can kill you with to much power causing wheel spin. Some say use clutch etc but bottom line is you have to hook up. Exiting corners is another problem with too much power down low. AX some pros ride 1st gear most of the track 2nd in the whoops on the 450s. RV has said hes in 1st gear 75 percent of all sx tracks. Some guys ride 2nd and third on 450s entire track only shifting point is entrance of the whoops. I sure Ron as an engine guy more than likely loves power. But sometimes there just to much. I personally hate a 2003 yz450f or a 2008 kx450 just to strong. I like smooth power im faster. Ill give an example a friend of mine at Budds creek this year was 23rd fastest out of all 77 pros after entire 1st round of practice. track was a lil slick and wet etc. Track dried up and got super tacky he got slower on times and ended up 41st and missing main by that 1 spot. I said dude what the hell where you doing. He said bike is just to fast its too good. I was like WHAT. The track was so good that he couldnt ride as fast as he could because bike was wheeling and coming out of the corners like a monster. Lets face it Jgr and all these companies can build what they want. But its what the rider wants in a 450. A 250f they all want them fassstttttttttttttttt. RV holeshots mxdn on a 250f at budds againt the 450s? Its power to the ground not just power

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dc182

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:27 AM

This is where the GYTR Tuner excels for the newer YZF450s. YOu can tame the power down in 30secs if you had a map already specd. I am curious if using the tuner and altering the power to feel like a highly modified 250f would of increased lap times.

• Ron Hamp

Posted December 30, 2010 - 02:59 PM

As an engine guy that likes power i have been building the number 1 dirt track bikes for years .I have to deal with wheel spin countiuosly and still maintain hi hp and over rev.My engines are smooth hp that keep reving .would you not want an engine that could still pull the hole shot and have linear power be less tiring than a stock engine and have to shift less .I have been working with Jeff Allessi and varner on making our TUF engine kit work its curently out hole shoting some factory bikes and is still eazy to ride the power is smooth even @ near 60 hp so smooth that tony thought the bike was a tird.one of my engine packages will be @ Milsaps so im sure @ some point i will get some feed back on how it compares to the gibbs engine .Last year Heath Voss comented on how he did not think the Honda could make any more hp and be ridable Scott Venning and i changed his mind .The moral to this story is your not gettinging a honda factory or gibbs racing engine But you can buy a TUF performance products engine package that will do the same thing or possibly be better.ITS still interesting to se where other engine companys are @ for power it came to me from a good sorce that RC did not like his bike with more than 55 hp.

• matts06yzf

Posted December 30, 2010 - 06:42 PM

As an engine guy that likes power i have been building the number 1 dirt track bikes for years .I have to deal with wheel spin countiuosly and still maintain hi hp and over rev.My engines are smooth hp that keep reving .would you not want an engine that could still pull the hole shot and have linear power be less tiring than a stock engine and have to shift less .I have been working with Jeff Allessi and varner on making our TUF engine kit work its curently out hole shoting some factory bikes and is still eazy to ride the power is smooth even @ near 60 hp so smooth that tony thought the bike was a tird.one of my engine packages will be @ Milsaps so im sure @ some point i will get some feed back on how it compares to the gibbs engine .Last year Heath Voss comented on how he did not think the Honda could make any more hp and be ridable Scott Venning and i changed his mind .The moral to this story is your not gettinging a honda factory or gibbs racing engine But you can buy a TUF performance products engine package that will do the same thing or possibly be better.ITS still interesting to se where other engine companys are @ for power it came to me from a good sorce that RC did not like his bike with more than 55 hp.

I think the 55hp statement is pretty true. I guess its where the power is in the motor where most these guys are after vs how much. Im fine with stock stuff at my speed. If Jeff Alessi pulls a hole shot or even top fives a main this year ill crap down my leg. I dont see him in a whole lot of top tens and missing some mains for that matter. Sx class is deep this year real deep. I hope he does well but im not much on that team hes on.

• gfmoto

Posted December 30, 2010 - 07:15 PM

My freind was visiting the Gosslers and asked mike what he did to the motors so RC could get so many holeshots and his answer was to detune it! The factory suzuki 450 had too much power for RC.

• twenty34

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:48 PM

When I read these posts, it becomes more apparent why I downgraded from 450. I spent most of my time just trying to control wheelspin with my throttle hand on a 450, but my favorite engines are 250-350 bigbores. I just love the power spead with these setups.

• Swapper265

Posted December 31, 2010 - 02:37 AM

My freind was visiting the Gosslers and asked mike what he did to the motors so RC could get so many holeshots and his answer was to detune it! The factory suzuki 450 had too much power for RC.

I know several, now retired pros that all rode between the two stroke - four stroke era. These guys were on factory teams at the time, and all have said the same thing. Most bikes they were given once testing started, were just too fast and too hard to ride. The worst bike of the lot was the YZ 426. They have repeatedly said that they spent most of that year trying to get the bike under control. It was just way too fast and too hard to ride flat out for 30 minutes. It was easy to get holeshots on, but hard to ride for the rest of the moto.

• Ron Hamp

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:14 AM

I built an engine a few years back for dirt track it was impressive on the dyno making nearly 68 hp from a 450 .The entire curve was moved up instead of peaking @ 9000 rpm and carryingit to 11000 rpm it peaked @ past 10000 rpm and carried to 12000 rpm. The bike was nearly impossible to ride even on a hooked up half mile it may have been good on a mile track but there were no miles events in the series . Varner had built Alessi a 58 hp honda a few years back it hole shoted even the factory suzuki I was told jeff could not ride it fast for only half the race .The curent yamaha package is making 60 hp and is smooth Jeff says its better than the gyrt kits eazyer to ride and less tiring .I quess next week will ansewre some question hopfully he will make it in the main and we will see how he finishes .Good luck to Jeff and Rock River Racing .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.