kdx or crf

16 replies to this topic
  • jlane

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

i just rode a kdx 220 today and loved it. i want something with at least that much power. i was looking for a new bike and thought a crf250x was going to be ok, but will it feel really week compared to the kdx? how about a crf450x?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blackwoodz

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

The CRF 250X will fell totally different and in a good way.
Go ride one and you will love it.

• jlane

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

ive heard the 250x is kind of a no balls bike. not true?

• rasta

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

they are choked up until you do all the mods to open up the 250x, thats how they are, mostly for emissions. a 450 will be choked up too but you can leave it like that if you dont want to much power. i rode couple differnt kdx's and they are great in the trails. very comfortable bikes with good power when you want it. the hondas are great bikes when you mod them to your liking.

• jlane

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:26 AM

but how are they compared to the kdx's?

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

a 250x is great a kdx is great.

I'm an old kdx fan. It is bullit proof like no ones business and is fun with plenty of power. I've had a couple of kdx's and loved them. Solid reliable bike that is fun .:excuseme: just ask jeff fredette

• ssanddemon

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:54 AM

The KDX is old school in a good way. Lots of guys ride them as a starter bike and stay with them as they progress. That said, they are apples and oranges compared to a CRF-X. The CRF is a modern bike with a modern frame and suspension. They are tame stock, but can be easily modded to make more power, and the suspension and brakes will handle higher speeds more safely than a KDX. Having ridden several KDXs and owned a CRF250X for several years, I will freely admit that the CRF let me ride over my head safely, something a KDX wouldn't let me do. The KDX is cheaper to buy and operate though. Orders of magnitude cheaper, in fact.

• YamaLink

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

The kdx is a fun bike and very inexpensive to own. The Honda maaaaay be a bit more expensive to maintain ala valves.
I have a kdx200 and 220r. Won't let go of them; great loaner and beginner bikes. Heck, great advanced bikes, too.

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

The 220 is the tamer of the KDXs too. Get ahold of a piped, properly jetted 200 sometime, and the difference will be very noticeable.
I'm not a real fan of 4 strokes anyway. Had an '01 WR250F (roughly the same as a CRF-X only no e-start on the '01), and didn't like it at all. Under powered, heavy, and very hard to start when hot (e-start would help that part I'm sure).
KDX has been a perfect bike for me.
Stock forks are the weak link on a KDX. One of the first "must do" mods, convert to KX USDs. This one change puts them pretty much on par with the "modern" bikes.
Great bikes. My vote goes to the KDX.:excuseme:

• juliend

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

I vote KDX. Versatile, friendly as a starter bike, and plenty of mods for it to grow with you. I'd also go with the 200 rather than the 220. Don't let the extra cc's fool you, the 200 outperforms it everywhere except for very low RPM torque.

• jlane

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

its not really a starter bike. ive been riding for six years or so. maybe if the kdx is outdated i should look at a ktm? but powerwise, how would a crf250x, with all the mods, compare to a trail two stroke?

• ssanddemon

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

I'm not a real fan of 4 strokes anyway. Had an '01 WR250F (roughly the same as a CRF-X only no e-start on the '01), and didn't like it at all. Under powered, heavy, and very hard to start when hot (e-start would help that part I'm sure).

The early WRs are not in the same class as the CRF-X in terms of user friendliness, handling and horsepower potential. Didn't even have a compression release.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

its not really a starter bike. ive been riding for six years or so. maybe if the kdx is outdated i should look at a ktm? but powerwise, how would a crf250x, with all the mods, compare to a trail two stroke?

Ktm 200 or GASGAS 200 are 2 more awesome bikes. The whole package I think is better than both the kdx and crfx and both are lighter.

• fender bender 59

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

The CRF 250X will fell totally different and in a good way.
Go ride one and you will love it.

WELL I rode one and hated it.. I'd get a ten year old KDX everyday over the 250x

• motojunkiedan

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

I rode a 06 CRF250X completely stock. My only complaint was the power and the bog when you grab a handful. I haven't ridden one uncorked but think it would be great. The KDX200 I rode was old as dirt and in very poor condition so not fair to comment on it.

• AtomicXRer

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

I was looking to add a CRF250X to my stable ( I have a modded KDX220 :excuseme:) , but would actually like the 220 engine in the CRF chassis :busted:. Probably end up with the orange 200 2T instead.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

I was looking to add a CRF250X to my stable ( I have a modded KDX220 :excuseme:) , but would actually like the 220 engine in the CRF chassis :busted:. Probably end up with the orange 200 2T instead.

More like the classic "frankenstein" kx125 with kdx200 motor. Lots have made them over the years. My Dad had one with a big bore motor. ..great for trail. great for anything I guess.

http://www.thumperta...ight=kdx hybrid

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.