Any thoughts on a race light for the 09 WR450f?

20 replies to this topic
  • DesertRat74

Posted December 28, 2010 - 02:57 PM

I am looking at the Baja Designs FUEGO 4 INCH RACELIGHTS but I would like to hear the pros/cons from those of you who have installed them or something similar. Thanks! Pics would be much appreciated!

Shane

• Col Psoas

Posted December 29, 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'm sorry I dont have any direct help on what you asked but there was a guy that did a HID light conversion on his wr and the difference was truely amazing. I'm not suggesting this instead but its something to consider. I'll post a link if I get time to find it

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:50 PM

I can only speak to Trailtech lights. I have raced with both the Eclipse and the Extreme.... For Desert racing I prefer the 35W 8" Eclipse.... worked awesome on my WR. The Extreme is good for woods and even Desert speeds but I had issues with the smaller lamps going out intermittently...

• DesertRat74

Posted January 01, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Trailtech. I bought a second helmet as well to mount a light on it. Thanks for the response.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 02, 2011 - 06:28 PM

I am looking at the Baja Designs FUEGO 4 INCH RACELIGHTS but I would like to hear the pros/cons from those of you who have installed them or something similar. Thanks! Pics would be much appreciated

I had em but didnt like them...to heavy for the light out put...

Posted Image

• William1

Posted January 03, 2011 - 12:24 PM

BigDawg, from the anlge of the photo... one could guess you had a light tower mounted on the bars..... :excuseme:

• GCannon

Posted January 04, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Try this it is fairly recent:http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=938342

123BigcoopDawg576 is a lighting expert you should try and get some more information out of him.:excuseme:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 04, 2011 - 01:13 PM

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Trailtech. I bought a second helmet as well to mount a light on it. Thanks for the response.

Is this light for high speed work, as in racing, or more for an all around riding light? The reason I ask is that there are better ways to go (better spread than the 8" lights give, lighter, and cheaper) if you are mostly talking about riding under 50 mph.

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Is this light for high speed work, as in racing, or more for an all around riding light? The reason I ask is that there are better ways to go (better spread than the 8" lights give, lighter, and cheaper) if you are mostly talking about riding under 50 mph.

Well then, don't hold back....let us have it:thumbsup:

• off road rider

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:22 PM

To run the HID version you would need some stator mods.Or a replacement stator. Not that big of a deal.
A 8" halogen race light will bolt right on your bike with no mods,
You can also run some quality LED aux lights with no mods..
I always ride with a battery powered helmet light.. I would take that over a bike mounted light for any trail rides.. Both a headlight and helmet mount is of course is the best..
What works for one condition might not be the ticket for another.. what type of riding do you want to do??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 04, 2011 - 04:08 PM

Well then, don't hold back....let us have it:thumbsup:

I guess my point is that if his night riding is not balls-to-the-wall 5th gear stuff mostly, the 8" in not the best option because it tends to be more spot oriented. I think the Trailtech may have a bit more spread than the BD unit, but a standard BD Diablo light is way lighter and has better spread, just not as much depth. To add, just adding your own hid components to the the standard BD halogen enduro light will save you a lot of coin and act virtually the same as the Diablo. Because that light accepts H-4 type hid bulbs, you can take it a step further and add a bi-xenon hid bulb with a 2nd ballast for hi/lo beam and run them both at the same time if your stator can handle it. I still think just the low beam hid set-up in the standard BD enduro light is the best bang for the buck. Build it for about $135 and be done with it. It still has plenty of depth for 50 mph-ish riding. :excuseme:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 04, 2011 - 04:12 PM

To run the HID version you would need some stator mods.Or a replacement stator. Not that big of a deal.
A 8" halogen race light will bolt right on your bike with no mods,
You can also run some quality LED aux lights with no mods..
I always ride with a battery powered helmet light.. I would take that over a bike mounted light for any trail rides.. Both a headlight and helmet mount is of course is the best..
What works for one condition might not be the ticket for another.. what type of riding do you want to do??

Darryl, just out of curiosity, will your stack pack be ok to power a 35 watt hid? That'd be a good way to go for someone with a YZ or other bike without a lighting stator.

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2011 - 09:34 PM

I guess my point is that if his night riding is not balls-to-the-wall 5th gear stuff mostly, the 8" in not the best option because it tends to be more spot oriented. I think the Trailtech may have a bit more spread than the BD unit, but a standard BD Diablo light is way lighter and has better spread, just not as much depth. To add, just adding your own hid components to the the standard BD halogen enduro light will save you a lot of coin and act virtually the same as the Diablo. Because that light accepts H-4 type hid bulbs, you can take it a step further and add a bi-xenon hid bulb with a 2nd ballast for hi/lo beam and run them both at the same time if your stator can handle it. I still think just the low beam hid set-up in the standard BD enduro light is the best bang for the buck. Build it for about $135 and be done with it. It still has plenty of depth for 50 mph-ish riding. :excuseme:

Thanks. I'm still on the fence about going HID 'cause of the stator mod/DC conversion required. I just don't like screwing with the bike's proven reliability with these kind of modifications.....my concerns are probably unwarranted as there are a ton of people successfully doing it, but that's just me:banghead:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 05, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Thanks. I'm still on the fence about going HID 'cause of the stator mod/DC conversion required. I just don't like screwing with the bike's proven reliability with these kind of modifications.....my concerns are probably unwarranted as there are a ton of people successfully doing it, but that's just me:banghead:

IMHO I think it IMPROVES the reliablilty...better charging of the battery and more power for lights :busted:

My Dad's 06 is still on the original battery (yes we ride alot) but I contribute the life of the battery to the stator mod/hi output stators.

You've got nothing to worry about and everything to "see" :busted:

PM when you are ready for HID's and I can help steer you in the right direction...i.e. converting your stock light, buying an Airtime-HID or race light. Having done it all I can help you "see" aka decided what you want :excuseme:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 05, 2011 - 09:25 AM

IMHO I think it IMPROVES the reliablilty...better charging of the battery and more power for lights :excuseme:

My Dad's 06 is still on the original battery (yes we ride alot) but I contribute the life of the battery to the stator mod/hi output stators.

You've got nothing to worry about and everything to "see" :busted:

+1
Coop and I both use the Trailtech stator, but having BD do the stator mod to the stock stator (I think about $30???) can also be done. Personally, I think it just makes more efficient use of the total stator power by unifying it all to the battery rather than splitting it up into two circuits (stock) with the battery only getting a tiny amount of the power. I'm not a fan of halogen lighting at all, it takes just too much power and the output still leaves a lot to be desired. I was in baja a couple of months ago in the middle of some place I had never been before and unfortunately we got caught in the dark for a couple of hours. One of the guys I was riding with kept commenting on my light (which was only running hid low beam) and how bright it was. He had an XR400 with a 200 watt stator (about twice what mine will put out) and he put a 100 watt halogen bulb in the 8" race light. It was very dim, spot focused, and all but useless compared to a 35 watt hid. Even with all that power, it could not drive a 100 watt bulb. The light probably would have been a lot brighter with just a standard 55 watt bulb in it. The one thing Coop and I like about the Trailtech stator (and I think the BD modded stock stator behaves about the same) is that you could run hid lighting with the bike sitting on the kickstand at idle all night long and the stator is still giving a positive charge to the battery. If you go hid, cheap now days, you will be disappointed if you ever go back to halogen. I have not had any hid problems in the last 5 years and and do about 50% of my total yearly hours at night. For what it's worth, my hid components are all Chinese supposed "junk" as well so go figure. :busted:

• SXP

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:35 AM

Brett, Aaron - Thanks for your inputs:thumbsup: I just have to pull the trigger on this....

• off road rider

Posted January 05, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Darryl, just out of curiosity, will your stack pack be ok to power a 35 watt hid? That'd be a good way to go for someone with a YZ or other bike without a lighting stator.

Yes Brett we do it all the time..a few races where won last season with the Stack Pack battery powered HIds..
In this case I would recommend the replacement stator. No messing around with rewinds and it is very reliable. We private label all the stators.
Of course there is nothing wrong with doing it yourself, But the replacement will give you a bit more power.
Again what works good in Baja wont work to well in the woods..

• DesertRat74

Posted January 05, 2011 - 12:15 PM

Just for desert racing.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 05, 2011 - 12:55 PM

Just for desert racing.

Then you need some throw for high speed = 8" Baja D, Trailtech, Vision X, Cyclops may have something for you as well.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 05, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Oh... Cyclops will have something for sure:thumbsup:

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/

Customer Service is second none too!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.