When were 3-wheelers banned from sale?

11 replies to this topic
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:30 AM

Just wondering when exactly the 3-wheelers (ATC250's, Tri-Z's etc) were banned, and what were the circumstances which caused their removal from sale? I know a lot of people got hurt on them, but I have heard that there was a court ruling which virtually killed them overnight. I have also heard (from an American friend) that Honda in particular were left with literally hundreds of trikes that were returned from dealers who could no longer sell them. I had an ATC250RF '85 model, and it was great fun, but it did take some getting used to coming off a two-wheeler. The last model I believe that was available in Australia was the ATC250RG '86 model. Does anyone know the full story? I would've thought quad's are just as dangerous.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • georgiajim

Posted 18 July 2003 - 07:06 AM

In the U.S. "Manufacturing of the three-wheeler was banned in 1988, and when the decrees expired in 1998, manufacturers agreed to an ATV Action Plan in which they agreed not to market or sell three-wheeled ATV’s"

• Fryboy

Posted 18 July 2003 - 07:12 AM

Hi Chris,

See the following link for the history of ATV's. Here is a quote from the article

"Nevertheless, on April 28, 1988, the U.S. ATV distributors entered into an unprecedented 10-year agreement with the CPSC called the Final Consent Decree. Under the agreement, the ATV industry made a $100 million commitment to expand existing safety programs. Among the many components of this agreement, free training and training incentives were offered to owners and purchasers of new ATVs. Additionally, distributors would no longer market three-wheeled ATVs, repurchasing any unsold three-wheel models from dealer inventory."

ATV 101

Fryboy

• fastenuf4u

Posted 18 July 2003 - 08:08 AM

All I know is it wasn't soon enough. those things were death on wheels.

• FFRacing79

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:35 PM

Only if you didn't know how to ride/race one!!

• YZ250F49

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:52 PM

Only if you didn't know how to ride/race one!!

Yeah, you needed a Mullet to make them handle properly!

:) :D

• starttman

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:02 PM

88...my bud had a kaw tecate...was a kx 250 on 3 wheels

was one baddd muthaf*kka...that thing would go 90 mph...

three wheels are for tricycles...only...

i loved by big wheel when i was a kid.had an adjustable seat.wore the front wheel down to nothing...

don't make toys like that anymore...i had a green bike with a sissy bar, banana seat with green flecks and three speed gears on the frame bar that looked like a quick shifter.

can't find those anymore...

c

• YZ250F49

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:18 PM

was a kx 250 on 3 wheels

God forbid, what were they thinking when they made that thing? :)

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted 18 July 2003 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, the ATC250 2 strokes were basically a CR250 on three wheels too, awesome to ride, I loved it. :D Had CR motor, watercooled, 10 inches of travel front and rear, gold rims etc. Was extremely fast, I don't think 80+MPH would be exaggerating, although on three wheels it seemed like 150+. Thanks to everyone for the explanations (ATV101 etc) :)

• YAMABEN

Posted 19 July 2003 - 03:37 AM

Let's not forget about the Yamaha YTZ 250. It was equally deadly. Mullet-boy's Tri-Z

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted 19 July 2003 - 04:58 AM

I looked at a Tri-Z that was for sale at the time, but it was in pretty rough shape, so I kept looking and eventually found my old ATC. Actually I have only ever seen two Tri-Z's in my life in Australia, trikes in general were/are very scarce over here, as they were only ever imported in small numbers. I think Queensland had the largest number of trikes back in the day. :)

• bigc

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:37 PM

back in the day,i bought two of those 250r's honda type :devil:mabye an 85/86 model and made one out of two.this was my first 2 stroke rebuild.what a blast!!the only problem was i think the carb was off a 100 or something would start and idle give it gas is would sit there and bog then just take off like a bat out of hell!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.