Off-Season Parts Hunting

11 replies to this topic
  • b--man426

Posted December 28, 2010 - 04:18 AM

Hope everyone had a great X-Mas,

With kids in college, no raise this year, bills, and a wife (she is a good ole gal) that doesn't understand a fifty year old's desire to play in the dirt I have to be very frugal with my toy budget.

Maybe some of you would like to try some new bar bends without breaking the bank. I found these at a good price ($21 - $25) --Sunline AV One OS bars -- Anyone ever run these bars? They feel and look like very nice bars especially for the price --http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/AV-ONE-HANDLEBAR.jpg/Brand/SUNLINE/Class2/Handlebars%20and%20Controls/Class3/Handlebars/Class1/

I found a store on e-bay closing out new K & P Engineering filters and picked one up ($10). I believe they are the same as the Scotts filter which I was looking for ( I believe that they make the filters for Scotts). I was not very happy with the stock metal filter for the YZ and had switched to paper. Any tips on using this SS filter on my 01 YZ426?

I found it always helps to search for different names on the parts as well, just like the K&P filter. I found a Yamaha dealership that had a clearance sale on some old MSRHP HARDPART stock. They listed "MSR 49t rear sprocket" on their site --Did some research (MSR sells Ironman) and I got the Ironman rear sprocket for $40! -- I hope I am happy with it.

I will be running 13t - 49t gearing for area's that I ride -- (Hatfield-McCoy, Wayne Nat'l Forest, Wellsville, Alleghany Nat'l Forest, I live in NE Ohio and there is no good riding here) -- I need to find a good chain now. I think I'm going to try the Regina ORN6 if I can find a good price. Any Ideas where to look for a good price on this chain?

I have very happy with the OEM brake pads in the past and order new front and rear set from RockyMountainATV and got a good deal on a new rear Dunlop 756 ($39)as well. I think the OEM pads just plain work well.

I am thinking about a Flywheel Weight for my bike. They only seem to sell complete flywheels for my bike now (01 YZ426) and they are big $$$ new. I wish they still sold a bolt on weighted ring kit for the bike. I am going to look for a used complete weighted flywheel or a weighted ring kit. Does anyone know if I could use a bolted weight from a 98-99 YZ400F? I know the spline is different and thought I could use just the aftermarket bolted weight ring if everything else is the same.

I run Mobil 1 racing 4T 10w/40 oil in my 426 and I purchase it at Autozone ($10 per qt.) I am happy with this oil and it seems to hold up well. Should I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w/50 in the summer heat? The manual puts the 10w/40 as a good all around choice. Does anyone have a better place to purchase this oil? Anyone get good pricing online?

My bike is getting older just like me and parts are getting harder to find, but I like her, and I still can't out ride her ability so she's a keeper for me right now:thumbsup:

Enjoy the Holiday Season with your family, keep the roost flowing, and support the Service Men during this lonely time for them,

b--man426

• b--man426

Posted January 01, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Bump -- Anyone about the flywheel weight?

• YamaJet

Posted January 02, 2011 - 05:04 AM

RockyMountainATV was the best Price on the chain.
I run Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for about $11.00 a gallon in my dirt and street bikes. You can save some money there.

• dalonar

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:09 AM

i have run rotella since i got the bike and have ran it on my raptor 700 for 5 years. i change it every 3rd ride or 5 hours whatever comes first

• itsallbizz

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:13 AM

+1 on the rotella t.saves you big cash and is great oil

• b--man426

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:32 AM

RockyMountainATV was the best Price on the chain.
I run Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for about $11.00 a gallon in my dirt and street bikes. You can save some money there.

Thanks,
I will check out the chain at RM ATV.
I think I might have to take a look at oils again -- it has been along time since I researched any of them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted January 02, 2011 - 11:52 AM

I've been running the same Sunline bars on my bike for about 4 years. Same bars, just changed over when I got the new bike. Been through many crashes. I love them.

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:22 PM

Rotella fails rather miserably to retain its viscosity when used in a transmission, as in a YZF. Sending in a used sample with no more than 3 hours for analysis will show that it is no longer a 15w-40, but has turned into a 15w-30 or less. If you insist on using it, change it each ride.

• beezer

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:43 PM

I don't think oil is a good thing to skimp on.

My bikes always seemed to shift better when I used a quality motorcycle oil.

• b--man426

Posted January 02, 2011 - 07:25 PM

I've been running the same Sunline bars on my bike for about 4 years. Same bars, just changed over when I got the new bike. Been through many crashes. I love them.

Thanks -- glad to hear that! these bars look and feel nice!!! I can't wait till I get them installed. Working on greasing the swingarm bearings right now, it pays to keep up with grease maintenance. :excuseme:

• b--man426

Posted January 03, 2011 - 03:06 AM

Rotella fails rather miserably to retain its viscosity when used in a transmission, as in a YZF.

I will keep this in mind when I do some research on oils again. It has been a long time since I looked at oils. When I made the choice to use Mobil 1 4T in my 426 it was one of the better oils that was locally obtainable for me. Maybe there is newer oil technology that is better now. Years ago I made my decision based on information and testing data obtained from a site called "bobistheoilguy" forum's. Maybe Rotella has been improved, maybe not, a informed decision is a good decision. Thanks!!:excuseme:

• Ksquared

Posted January 03, 2011 - 01:06 PM

Does anyone know of a good place to buy triple clamps (upper) for a good price?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.