Linkage Bearings-Roller Needles Everywhere!

5 replies to this topic
  • mikewrf18

Posted December 28, 2010 - 03:45 AM

While removing the Carb from my 07'WR450F, I figured what better time to do some preventative maintenance on my Swingarm, and Linkage. I removed the swingarm, shock, and linkage to grease the bearings. While greasing one of my linkage bearings, most of the roller needles fell out onto my work bench.:excuseme: I tried to put them back in one at a time, but everytime I tried to insert the roller back in it would push them back out. It's now back together, greased, but one bearing is missing probably 12 or more roller needles. Isn't there supposed to be something holding these in place aside from the roller? Is it worth while for me to try it again, or is it just toast? If they're toast then is there a better linkage kit out there that may not cause such a headache?
:busted:

• YZEtc

Posted December 28, 2010 - 04:17 AM

If the bearing race on that particular bearing was still in good condition, I'd order a new genuine Yamaha bearing, take the bike back apart, and install all of the new rollers into the bearing that's missing the rollers.

That's right - the bearing is made with no cage holding the rollers in place.
This is done by the collar that goes through the center of it.
When putting the new rollers in place, smear grease in there, which will make the rollers stick to it.

When I grease the bearings on my 2009 WR-250F, I don't fully remove the collar.
I slide it about 90% out of the way, but keep enough inside the bearing to hold the rollers in place.
After I smear grease on the exposed rollers, I'll slide it 90% out in the other direction and do the same.

As long as you disassemble the rear suspension often enough to where you're not having a squeaky, creaky, rusty and dirty mess on your hands, this works extremely well because all you have to do is wipe off the oil seal lips and collars and smear new grease on those parts, along with the bearing rollers and the bolts that hold it all together.
I do mine every three months of riding, riding every Sunday and sometimes Saturday and Sunday. :excuseme:

• mikewrf18

Posted December 28, 2010 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE YZEct: That's right - the bearing is made with no cage holding the rollers in place.
This is done by the collar that goes through the center of it.
When putting the new rollers in place, smear grease in there, which will make the rollers stick to it.
When I grease the bearings on my 2009 WR-250F, I don't fully remove the collar.
I slide it about 90% out of the way, but keep enough inside the bearing to hold the rollers in place.
After I smear grease on the exposed rollers, I'll slide it 90% out in the other direction and do the same.

Good advice, I'll take the linkage back off and try and get those roller needles back in. It hasn't been ridden like that. All in all, everything appears to be in good shape. I thought since the roller needles came out the bearing was no good. Thanks for the tip about not pulling the collar all the way out, that will definately save me future headaches! Any tips for the swingarm bearings? I aready did them with no problems, but may help in the future.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted December 28, 2010 - 04:58 AM

Yeah, it can be a pain! Use lots of grease, and double/triple check with your finger to make sure all of the needle bearings are fully recessed before installing the center collar. It's not bad once you've done it a few times. Oh yeah, start with a spotlessly clean bench, so you can see if any have fallen out!!! Maniac

• mikewrf18

Posted December 28, 2010 - 05:09 AM

Yeah, it can be a pain! Use lots of grease, and double/triple check with your finger to make sure all of the needle bearings are fully recessed before installing the center collar. It's not bad once you've done it a few times. Oh yeah, start with a spotlessly clean bench, so you can see if any have fallen out!!! Maniac

You're telling me! I was already frustrated after spending probably an hour trying to get my swingarm off. The swingarm bolt was not wanting to come out, then this! I need to learn when to call it a night. :excuseme:

• YamaLink

Posted December 28, 2010 - 06:07 AM

One needle will quietly fall to the ground and you'll notice it after the bike is put back together loaded in the truck and reaching for the boots to take off. Yes, it has happened to me. :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.