Geomax mx51's who's running them?

38 replies to this topic
  • suzuki_dude

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:54 AM

great tires

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:56 AM

I do like the 952, just wondering if the mx51 will handle or corner better, I won't be spending any time on the track but should i stick with something I'm used to and know works? or try something new? I mainly want the new front tire because the stock tire washes out from under you very easily.

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:59 AM

I thought I would add, i still ahve my 752 front tire on my old bike, i bought the tires in 98 or 99. It is missing basically all the side knobs, but it lasted for many years, still works, but afraid the nylon belting that is showing could pop randomly, so will stick my new bike's tire on it after its replaced.

• tech24

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:47 AM

I do like the 952, just wondering if the mx51 will handle or corner better, I won't be spending any time on the track but should i stick with something I'm used to and know works? or try something new? I mainly want the new front tire because the stock tire washes out from under you very easily.

I think you'll be happy with either. Trial and error is the only method for personal tire choice in my opinion

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Well since i have already done the trial and error on the 952, i could try the mx51, but it would only be the front tire for now, till i wear this back one a bit more and can justify replacing it cause it seems to work decently and I know I will tear it up fast around here soon as I get to ride a bit more again.

• darius228

Posted December 28, 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm about to pull off my 756 and replace it with a 745 since a local shop is selling them for $49.99 a piece so I'll buy a few.
I used to run 404's and got killer life, rode all motocross and rode the same tire all summer once a week at minimum, including flipping it.....Washington summers arrrre short.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2010 - 01:07 PM

745's are a good tire if you run mostly firmer intermediate to hard pack soil, not so great in anything softer.

• mattmoto441

Posted December 28, 2010 - 02:01 PM

Ill have to take some pics of the tossed lugs

• delmas

Posted December 28, 2010 - 02:15 PM

great tires

i love mine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2010 - 02:33 PM

Ill have to take some pics of the tossed lugs

At the risk of sounding rude, you can take as many pictures as you'd like, but they won't change the experience that I've had with the tire, that others I know have had with it, or my opinion of the tire. I have never damaged an MX51 except for one partially torn knob that happened when I caught a "submerged" rock on a sand climb once. Other than that. the MX51 rear has been brilliant, and if it doesn't tear knobs where I ride it, I can't see why yours would.

• dvn

Posted December 28, 2010 - 06:54 PM

I ran the 51's this past year. Wear and performance was average. I have had some issues with torn knobs as well. I will be going back to the 403/404 combo for my next set.

• BDubb106

Posted December 29, 2010 - 03:19 AM

I wonder why some people tear knobs off and then theres people like myself who dont. The only knobs Ive torn was on a track that had dried out after being rained on the day before and was rutted badly then turned to near concrete after it dried out. I blame the track for few outside knobs that tore. Ive had about 19 of the 20 or so Ive ran never lose a knob, and seemed to wear like iron.

• davcon

Posted December 29, 2010 - 04:32 AM

I wonder why some people tear knobs off and then theres people like myself who dont. The only knobs Ive torn was on a track that had dried out after being rained on the day before and was rutted badly then turned to near concrete after it dried out. I blame the track for few outside knobs that tore. Ive had about 19 of the 20 or so Ive ran never lose a knob, and seemed to wear like iron.

Hmmmm Very true. My son and I run the same territory and he rarely tears a side knob. He has an 08 250F, but, he corners hard and can run circles around me on an MX track. Is it a weight issue?

• BDubb106

Posted December 29, 2010 - 04:54 AM

It very well may be... I know I dont have the answer lol. Im 225 without gear and I ride hard. Im not the fastest guy by any means but I push my Yzs at a decent pace and they havnt torn. But as you said my front was the one that tore anyways, I thought if anything the rear would tear with my weight and speed matched with the wheel spin of a smoker youd think the rear would chunk fist, but seeing as mine was the front as well so I was thinking maybe fork set up has a little to do with it? Maybe stiffer forks like mine push the tire into the ground, esp on extremely hard pack deep ruts where they slide down the side of the rut with no forgiveness in the soil?

• bikeride4fun

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:13 AM

I ran the MX51's all last year....loved them....one of the best set of tires that I have raced on.....Have a new set ready to put on for this summer.....

• BBrown626

Posted December 29, 2010 - 11:40 PM

thy dont last long, and lasting longer than a bridgestone.thats not happining the 404 is a better tire and last twice as long! it does work good on hard pack when new but rounds off quick. i do want to try the mx31 i only ride mx and most tacks i ride are soft and muddy.

I have the 51 on now and can't wait to replace it with a 404. The edges of the 51 wore too quickly. The 404 is much better for wear on socal tracks.

• dvn

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:10 AM

That sounds like pretty much ALL the tracks around here!

• BDubb106

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:34 AM

Lol we get lots of rain so we usually dont have that problem. We have to worry about the track being muddy more so than rock hard.

• dc182

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have been running the MX51 since they came out. I don't think they are as good as the 756 but what can you really do about that now since the 756s are discontinued. THey do last a little bit longer, which is a plus, and are almost on the same performance level as the 756s. People are going to tear off knobbies no matter what. Everyone rides on different kinds of terrain so common sense comes into play when judging that category. They are great tires, buy them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.