Front brakes on my 2010 YZ450F

19 replies to this topic
  • rtb120

Posted December 27, 2010 - 05:22 PM

Does anyone have trouble stopping there 2010 YZ450F? I'm looking to buy a oversize front rotor, and not sure which one is the best? All I can say, is that the stock brakes suck!!!!!

• jimjim180

Posted December 27, 2010 - 07:23 PM

i went with a galfer 270mm wave rotor and matching brake pads,stock brake line,and bleed the fluid..works great:ride:

• 450motard

Posted December 27, 2010 - 07:51 PM

Wow. I must ride like a girl. I think the brakes on my '10 are pretty great.

• motojase316

Posted December 27, 2010 - 08:35 PM

i went with a galfer 270mm wave rotor and matching brake pads,stock brake line,and bleed the fluid..works great:ride:

Same same here... Nice powerful feeling braking over stock without being harsh and grabby

Posted Image.

• lil-717

Posted December 28, 2010 - 03:03 AM

being that it is a heavy bike it needs oversize breaks as soon as you even mention "race" or "track", i have a braking disc and it works great, oversize brakes are a must have on these bikes.

• fishkiller

Posted December 28, 2010 - 05:56 AM

The Galfler is what you felt on my bike Rob.

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 28, 2010 - 07:46 AM

Ya I too thought the brakes were amazing, but my other bike is now 16 years old, I thought it was amazing I could finally do stoppies. So since I don't know any better I think the front brakes are great, and the rear one is too powerful.

• fishkiller

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:31 AM

Scratch that Rob. Galfler is on my 250 2t. I have the DRIVEN oversize rotor on my 450.
Seem to be havin a bit of memory loss today!

• tech24

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Scratch that Rob. Galfler is on my 250 2t. I have the DRIVEN oversize rotor on my 450.
Seem to be havin a bit of memory loss today!

Hows that driven rotor? I'm sure its more in my price range. Although I have been fairly happy with the 2010 front brakes but it does fad after some hard abuse. Just playin around doin stoppies it seems to stop working after 3 or 4 and starts groaning.

• HRC

Posted December 28, 2010 - 10:07 AM

I have to agree, brakes on these new Yamis aren´t that impressive. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fishkiller

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:03 AM

Well, so far so good. Have about 30 hrs of mx on it so far with no complaints. Did the rotor first then stainless braided front line.

• Jim813

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:55 AM

I have an 08, but the front brake system is the same. I went with an EBC 280mm oversize rotor, modern Honda master cylinder, and Honda brake pads. The EBC rotor gave me some of the stopping power I was looking for, but the feel at the lever was still mushy (even after bleeding the system several times). The Honda master cylinder and pads make the feel at the lever much firmer and requires no more that two fingers to stop as fast as possible.

• HRC

Posted December 29, 2010 - 12:54 PM

I have an 08, but the front brake system is the same. I went with an EBC 280mm oversize rotor, modern Honda master cylinder, and Honda brake pads. The EBC rotor gave me some of the stopping power I was looking for, but the feel at the lever was still mushy (even after bleeding the system several times). The Honda master cylinder and pads make the feel at the lever much firmer and requires no more that two fingers to stop as fast as possible.

Does the Honda mastercylinder bolt right on to the Yamaha or does it need to be modified ?

• honda907

Posted December 29, 2010 - 02:29 PM

Wow. I must ride like a girl. I think the brakes on my '10 are pretty great.

Me too. I saw MXA said the brakes were weak, but i only ride with one fingur on it now!

• RCannon

Posted December 30, 2010 - 05:16 AM

Does the Honda mastercylinder bolt right on to the Yamaha or does it need to be modified ?

It bolts right on. No mods necessary. That newer crf master, with built in linkage, works really well. The brake line does exit on the opposite side, but the brake hoses on the Honda and Yamaha are almost identical.

• Jim813

Posted December 30, 2010 - 06:37 AM

I had to carefully bent the banjo fitting on my stock Yamaha brake line just slightly to give it the correct angle ( the Honda master cylinder has the brake line coming in the back, while the stock Yamaha has it in the front). Other than this, there were no issues.:excuseme:

• Chazmagnum

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:04 AM

IMO front brake on mine is awfull!

• gfmoto

Posted December 30, 2010 - 07:20 PM

I switched to a 05 front caliper and dot5 hi-temp fluid. The 10' front caliper has much smaller pistons( which I'm sure are lighter) and less surface area to bite with. The caliper was cheap $50 delivered to my door off ebay. I couldn't see spending $250 on an oversized rotor kit!

• Thumper38

Posted January 01, 2011 - 06:33 AM

I have to agree, brakes on these new Yamis aren´t that impressive. :excuseme:

No they do kinda suck, I put on the EBC over sized rotor and new pads and they were only better not good. So I out a HONDA master cylinder on and they got alot better but there still not as good as my Kawi brakes were. I have a braided line on also. Does different brands of brake fluid make any difference?

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Does different brands of brake fluid make any difference?

No, nor does the level of DOT standards that they meet. (DOT 5 should be avoided because it is a different base. DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 are all compatible) The DOT gradings are primarily an indication of the temperature tolerance of the fluid.

All fluids are incompressible, and one will feel no better than another. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air), so if the fluid is old or has been exposed to air a lot, it can contain water, which will turn to steam when heated, and that will act like air in the lines.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.