shavings in oil

4 replies to this topic
  • 426beastlover

Posted December 27, 2010 - 05:02 PM

i just bought a 2001 yz 426 one of the first things i did was change the oil and in the oil filter case i found some metal shaving in it i also found some shaving on the drain plug should i be worried?

• pkthomas

Posted December 30, 2010 - 04:18 PM

I think its common. i have an 02 426 and i freaked out the first time i changed the oil and filter because of the metel shavings, but i think it was because the previous owner didnt chang it often. i chang it after every harescramble and have very little if any shavings now, and its been fine for two seasons now with no issues.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blackwoodz

Posted December 30, 2010 - 04:23 PM

If the trans and crank run in the same oil then you will see metals in the oil. Run a magnetic drain plug and keep oil and filter changed regular.

• 426beastlover

Posted January 01, 2011 - 09:38 AM

cool thanks for the info i have a magnetic drain plug so that area is ok i dont know how much the guy before me changed the oil. so its common to have some shavings in the oil cool thanks again

• yam 3

Posted January 01, 2011 - 11:12 AM

Not to alarm ya.

If the shavings look like square pieces of brass, i would tear it down and inspect/replace the crank and mains.
Normal to have some regular metal color stuff in there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.