Crank Case Sealant

23 replies to this topic
  • Markopolo400

Posted December 27, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Drove all around town looking for some Threebond, or anything resembling Yamabond (Closest Yamaha dealer is 40mins away, and no local shops have anything), and I came up with this stuff to put the case halves together on my YZ250.

http://www.permatex....o_2_Sealant.htm

Anyone used this before? Or anyone have an experience with it?

• mliebal

Posted December 27, 2010 - 11:43 AM

This is a clay based gasket sealent. It does dry out and turn brittle with age/heat. But it takes years.
I would try for something better. The Right Stuff might be better, sold at automotive parts stores.

I am interestd if anyone else has experience too.

• flipit

Posted December 27, 2010 - 11:52 AM

Don't do it. A good seal is important especially in the crank case. Order the yamaha sealant from bikebandit.com.. There pretty quick on shipping. Worth the wait.

Posted December 27, 2010 - 11:53 AM

I use more or less same material for years without any problem:

http://www.permatex....ket_Sealant.htm

It is non-hardening one (and gasoline resists), but it is working perfect!:excuseme:

• scalejockey

Posted December 27, 2010 - 12:55 PM

Here's what yer lookn' for, Iv'e used it for couple years. Basically the same as Yamabound.

http://www.permatex...._Maker_Grey.htm

• E.Marquez

Posted December 27, 2010 - 01:06 PM

If you going to use something from Permatex, and not the recommended Three-Bond, or Yamabond..
Use this
MotoSeal® 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey
This is the product Permatex recommends for case sealing. I sent emails back and forth several times.. and this is the recommendations I got,,, But good luck I finding it on the shelf anyplace. I've never seen it.

• Markopolo400

Posted December 27, 2010 - 01:20 PM

Well I put the cases together yesterday with it, and from the sounds of it, it will work?

Can anyone say for sure it won't seal? If so I'll bite the bullet and try to get the right stuff in the next couple days.

• s14 2510s

Posted December 27, 2010 - 02:13 PM

1194 thrrebond is the stuuf to use. its cheap and easy to find. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2559bebcbc
Ive ordered 4 tubes from this guy so far. Never one leak. He shipps fast.

• E.Marquez

Posted December 27, 2010 - 02:29 PM

Well I put the cases together yesterday with it, and from the sounds of it, it will work?

Can anyone say for sure it won't seal? If so I'll bite the bullet and try to get the right stuff in the next couple days.

Is it the recommended product from the folks that make it? NO
Is it the recommended product from folks that have other choices? NO
Will it work? Who knows,, there are thousands of sealing products out there.. you chose one that is not recommended.. the TDS seems to show it's not a terrible choice.. But it's a gamble, considering it not a known working product from those that build engines, and the company that makes it, does not recommended it for the application.

• arnego2

Posted December 27, 2010 - 03:56 PM

and the company that makes it, does not recommended it for the application.

Hello
hmm don't you think that the companies who produce some of that stuff don't have motives like sales behind that kinda recommendation?

regards
Arnego2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • E.Marquez

Posted December 27, 2010 - 04:12 PM

Hello
hmm don't you think that the companies who produce some of that stuff don't have motives like sales behind that kinda recommendation?

regards
Arnego2

Not in this case.. But you know what.... It's his choice, and yours, and mine :excuseme:.

Quality shop mechanics make great money fixing home wrench expert opinions and decisions..

• arnego2

Posted December 27, 2010 - 07:23 PM

Hi there
true, down here the choice is easy, RTV is the only choise we face. :excuseme:
saludos
Arnego2

• acalder924

Posted December 27, 2010 - 09:03 PM

If you have a Toyota dealer near by you can get FIPG get 2 tubes one is black and will seal dry it's good for when you have to pull the water pump back of and the flimsy card board rips but the second is the one for the cases and it's the orange FIPG it's main use is for trans fluid or case halves on diffs either way it's the same sealant as yamabond it doesn't dry solid and it works, don't forget Yamaha and Toyota have been in bed together for years it's the same stuff the tube the factory uses is even grey

FIPG -- Form In Place Gasket

Posted December 27, 2010 - 11:59 PM

1194 thrrebond is the stuuf to use. its cheap and easy to find. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2559bebcbc
Ive ordered 4 tubes from this guy so far. Never one leak. He shipps fast.

Is it same as Yamalub4?

Posted December 28, 2010 - 12:27 AM

Is it same as Yamalub4?

sorry, yamabond4:banghead:

• s14 2510s

Posted December 28, 2010 - 02:39 AM

yes it is.

• 2strokeYardSale

Posted December 28, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Get Yamabond 6B. The Permatex stuff yields to gasoline/premix and creates an air leak. Funk dat1

I hear the Toyota stuff is good too. But I have personal experience with the grey Motoseal failing multiple times on my TZ250, and Yamabond 6B solved that problem.

• s14 2510s

Posted December 29, 2010 - 01:24 AM

the sealing face is so thin on the crank case I dont use anything but threebond. Im not having anything cost me a race or more time in my shop.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted December 30, 2010 - 05:00 PM

you want the original yamabond that they use, you can buy it at any Ducati dealer as ducatibond. Or any Subaru dealer as fujibond. The real stuff is the best.

• Kurlon

Posted December 31, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Anyone tried Loctite 518? You can be sloppy with the application and where it's not pressed together it'll stay liquid to be removed at the next oil change.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems by Hoffy77

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Everything for a beginner! by danieljames

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ125 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ125 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.